Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How Could I Worry?

As we continue through this season of my husband's job change, several people have asked me how we're doing and if we're "ok". Sometimes I feel like I should be worried or scared. Well, truthfully, sometimes I *do* feel worried or scared, but as God just keeps providing, I wonder *how* I could worry! I know the promise that "my God will supply every need according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19), and I've seen Him meet every need--even sometimes before I was aware of the need!--so how do I entertain even a moment's concern?

I find myself thinking about (and relating to) the Israelites. God provided for them, protected them, and delivered them time and time again, yet the Old Testament is full of examples of them worrying, complaining, or taking things into their own hands. I am comforted that God "remembers we are dust" (Psalm 103:14) so He knows we will sometimes focus on our fears rather than His past provisions. I think surely that is why He told his people to establish "stones of remembrance" so they would be comforted and reminded by His past provision when they faced a new (metaphoric) river to cross.
Joshua 4:20-22: And Joshua set up at Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken out of the Jordan. He said to the Israelites, "In the future when your descendants ask their fathers, 'What do these stones mean?' Tell them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground'" (NIV).

As this journey is more than a month old now, we've encountered some corners, but God has been around each bend. Alan was able to find a temporary job building powerline, which is what he originally went to school to do. A short time into the project, however, the other three members of the crew failed a drug test and were fired. Safety guidelines don't allow working with electricity alone, so he was supposed to be out of work until another crew could finish its project and come to complete this one.

He's a worker, however, of the ambitious and self-motivated type. He pointed out some work that needed done, such as cleaning and maintaining trucks, hauling equipment, and framing some poles so the work would go faster once the new crew arrived. The boss agreed that he could put in some hours on those tasks if he wanted to, so during that three weeks time when he should have had *no income*, he was able to work 68 hours. The payment he earned for those 68 hours covered all of our costs for the next few weeks with $18.11 to spare!!! When we finished working on the budget and paying the bills and realized how God had provided such a precise amount to meet our needs, we just stared at one another, amazed and humbled.

That is a boulder to add to our 'stones of remembrance'.

Then there's our envelope. When Alan sold a bunch of "junk" from cleaning up around the farm and brought over $200 home, we tucked it away in an envelope for "later, just in case." That envelope for "later, just in case" is getting fatter and fatter--and it's all clearly blessing from the Lord.
  • A neighbor called (he called us, we didn't call him, we weren't looking for this) wondering if he could put his cows in our (harvested) corn field for a couple months and offered $300 in return.
  • Alan had previously been invited to share a lesson at another congregation and received a generous thank you gift.
  • Alan received a random call to help a moving company unload a moving van. The mover was so impressed with his quick and efficient work, he generously reimbursed Alan for the time and commented that he wished he could find such workers more often.
  • He was asked to lead the singing/worship service for a "homecoming" of a former congregation we met with and received a monetary gift in appreciation.
Even as the Lord has provided these extras, He has simultaneously provided for our immediate needs. We have not dipped into this envelope because He keeps providing just enough work for Alan to do to take care of his family. We keep thinking this envelope will provide during an "in-between" time when there is no income, but the need hasn't arisen. Isn't that amazing??!!

Stones of remembrance. . .
Then Samuel took a stone and set it between Mizpah and Shen,
and named it Ebenezer, saying,
"Thus far the LORD has helped us."

I Samuel 7:12

That's enough, right? I mean, surely, that's enough. But wait, there's more! That tax return, that pesky little tax return that we've been counting on to pay off the balance of our adoption loan. . .well, it was delayed again and again. We filed our taxes back in February or March, then received notice that they wanted to examine each individual expense and needed us to send receipts and every documentation possible to receive approval by June. So we compiled and copied everything and sent it in and they kept moving the confirmation date back. Our most recent date to find out if they approved our expenses was October 14. We called them on Monday to learn. . .
our documentation is approved,
(they believe we really did adopt a child last year),
and the tax return will be in our bank account
by October 31 (with interest)!!
Do you see how amazing our God is? His timing and His provision never cease to amaze me. By November 1, our adoption loan should be completely paid off. It could have been far earlier, but apparently it needs to be now--in the midst of this journey.

It's not an easy journey, and not one that my selfish heart would have chosen over previous security and comfort. But it's a root-building journey, a faith-growing journey, and the Lord is showing Himself as He leads us through it. I recently read the following passage in a new-to-me translation and it really spoke to my heart. May I trust in the Lord, making him my hope and confidence. May my roots reach deep into His life-giving water so I won't be bothered or worried nor ever stop producing fruit.

Blessed are those who trust in the LORD
and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.

They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.

Such trees are not bothered by the heat

or worried by long months of drought.

Their leaves stay green,

and they never stop producing fruit.

Jeremiah 17:7-8, NLT

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this testimony about how God is providing for each one of your needs as you rely on Him. It is an encouragement and a reminder for me. I am the same way about knowing that God has always found a way to provide in the past, but worrying about how He is going to do that in whatever present circumstances we are facing at the time. I guess I am just a slow learner!

    I love that translation of Jeremiah 17:7-8 at the bottom!

    P.S. Thanks for linking up to Truth Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is awesome!! Thanks for sharing how he is at work in your lives right now:) What an encouragement to others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for remembering to share all of this with us! What a beautiful reminder that He is in control. LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO COOL!!!!!!!!! So glad you are keeping track of all the blessings and treasures along the way. Love you! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great testimony of God's faithfulness! Thank you for sharing it ~ such encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this!

    (And I also loved how the IRS eventually decided that you really did adopt a child last year. They just decided to believe us last month also!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!