Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bantu Knot Headband and Cornrows

Kiana is sporting a new hairstyle again.


 The top front is made up of fun parts braided into cornrows with the ends twisted into bantu knots (also known as zulu knots).  I should have posed her against a solid background so you could see them better, but they are really cute.

 The back is just divided into curved rows which I cornrowed, then decorated with her new "shades of pink" bead set.  I was actually quite excited to purchase these beads locally rather than having to order them online.  Moving off the farm does have its advantages! (Things like hair products and Chinese takeout a mere five blocks away.)

This style took a total of four hours including detangling, parting, braiding, beading and knotting.  It took two hours to detangle and braid the back in one sitting while she watched The Fox and the Hound.  The second sitting took another two hours and passed while watching a Sesame Street singing video.  That's more TV than she watched all of last week put together!

I expect this style to last several weeks, at least three and maybe four.  I may have to redo the top/front, but the back should last at least four weeks if we're good at remembering to put her satin sleep cap on for both bedtime and naptime.  For those who are interested, I moisturized her hair with Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner, used Blended Cutie's Curly Cake Shake for detangling, and braided with Blended Cutie's Jelly Cream, a soft hold moisturizing gel lotion.

7 comments:

  1. How adorable!! It doesn't matter how you do her hair, she is adorable!!!
    (Just a partial Grandma!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D Of course you would say that! I'm glad she has such a partial grandma.

      Delete
  2. ADORABLE!!!!!!! Nice job Mom! Looks like those new products are working great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle, you think the new products were worth the risk after-all, hmmm? tee, hee

      Delete
  3. Love it! So cute! I can't believe it only took you four hours...I am hopelessly slow at braiding and have still not managed to successfully cornrow (though it is not for lack of trying)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sharla, I'm trying to justify a trip to Canada to help you cornrow! tee, hee It would be great to get to visit with you IRL, and I've only been to Canada once. . . =D

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!