Something has been bothering me the last couple months.
Sadly, we as a society are being indoctrinated and desensitized to sin. The last couple books I've randomly selected from "new fiction" section of my local library have shared an underlying theme. They no longer tell the reader in the synopsis or anywhere in the reviews the "social issues" a book is addressing. Authors and publishers are just weaving it through the storyline like it's normal. We are supposed to believe this is commonplace, to be expected. I've noticed it on television shows in recent years (what few shows I've watched) of course, but I didn't expect advocates of homosexuality to infiltrate my books quite so completely.
The most recent victim of this campaign to sear our consciences that I came across was the book The Absolutist by John Boyne, the author of The Boy in Striped Pajamas. I saw the common author and thought, "why not?" The synopsis described a soldier who served during World War I, and faintly foreshadowed the idea of conscientious objection and bravery versus cowardice. It in no way alluded to its true theme.
The goal, I am certain, is to make us numb to sin, to cultivate acceptance.
I try to be discerning in my reading, although I have to admit many books I have read depict sin. I prefer those stories which call what is sin sin. I prefer stories that illustrate the consequences of sin or give examples of repentance or at the very least allow good to triumph over evil.
These observations remind me to keep my thinking cap on while reading, rather than giving in to the temptation to be whisked away by a good plot or appealing characters. I want to remind parents to be aware of what your children are reading. Written words wield a mighty influence. Just because a book is published doesn't make it worth reading, especially when the goal of the publisher and/or author is to desensitize readers.
Is it just me, or has this really ramped up just within the past few years? I was thinking that I had just stumbled upon the wrong types of books lately, but maybe it isn't just me!
ReplyDeleteSadly, it's not just you. Call me cynical, but I think it's a deliberate campaign.
DeleteA.M.E.N.
ReplyDeleteAnd I do think it's a deliberate campaign.