Very fun! Carrie played along with this book meme, so I'm taking a break from my "regularly scheduled programming" (seriously, whatever possessed me to turn the idea of ONE post featuring back-to-school student pictures into FIVE?!) in order to play as well. Want to join us?
1. Favorite childhood book? Little Women, hands down. I'm guessing I've read it about 20 times and I'm not exaggerating. Many of those times I was reading it at my Grandma's house. Oh wait, a close second is Where the Red Fern Grows--I probably have read it 10-12 times.
2. What are you reading right now? A Tale of Two Cities, 7 Men Who Rule the World from the Grave, Silas Marner and The Child Catchers (I know, I know--focus Shonya!)
3. What books do you have on request at the library? Wild Grows the Heather in Devon by Michael Phillips (September selection for my local book discussion group)
4. Bad book habit? reading too many books at once, ignoring real life when I get into a really great book, compulsive buying
5. Do you have an e-reader? Yes, a Kindle which I received as a thank you gift from my public speaking class. (fun!)
6. Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once? I prefer to read one at a time, but I also have a really bad habit of reading several books at once. Most of the time it's because I get moody and am not in "the mood" for a particular book. Other times it's because I get distracted by something that looks really good. And other times I'm reading multiple books because of multiple things going on in my life at once.
7. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? Yes, somewhat, I suppose. I read less fiction than I used to.
8. Least favorite book you read this year (so far)? Woman Thou Art Loosed by T.D. Jakes Ugh
9. Favorite book you’ve read this year? The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
10. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? Frequently--I love a good challenge, I like to think, I like to learn, I'm trying to read some of those great books I missed during my formal education
11. What is your reading comfort zone? Hmmm. . .great thought-provoking fiction, escapist fiction, and how-to (be a better mom, wife, christian, home educator)
12. Can you read on the bus? Absolutely. I can read in a house, on a boat, in the rain, on a train, here or there, or anywhere!
13. Favorite place to read? in my recliner. Actually, on an airplane because there is nothing else to do--I'm just stuck in a little spot with nothing else I possibly could do. Sadly, I don't fly much so I have to just ignore dishes/laundry/dirty floors for a little while and hide in my recliner.
14. What is your policy on book lending? I do it, but I write it down. If I ask you how you're liking it and you just haven't gotten around to it (in a month or so) I'll ask for it back and tell you that when you're ready to read it, let me know and I'll loan it to you then. I know, I get a little possessive when it comes to my books. But I've lost many of them over the years by loaning them out to people.
15. Do you ever dog-ear books? Yes. I prefer bookmarks, but I sometimes dog-ear.
16. Do you ever write in the margins of your books? Definitely. I talk back to the author, draw smiley faces when I encounter fun humor (particularly British or sarcasm), and sometimes write out my heart when they touch on my personal issues. There are some books I would loan only to a precious few. . .
17. Not even with text books? It's been years since I read or wrote in a textbook
18. What is your favorite language to read in? English please--I have never mastered another language well enough to read in it.
19. What makes you love a book? Oooh, good question! If it makes me think, that's a great start. I also love a book that is masterfully crafted--wordsmiths have my highest admiration. A great fiction book will have characters that I *know* by the end of the book.
20. What will inspire you to recommend a book? When it makes me think and I want others to read it so I can talk to them about it!! :)
21. Favorite Biography? Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
22. Have you ever read a self help book? Oh yes, many, many.
23. Favorite cookbook? I turn to my Taste of Home cookbooks again and again. I also love my 101 Slow Cooker Recipes. Ultimately, however, I would have to say MY cookbook that I've compiled over the last 20 years. (Should we ever have a house fire, Alan's job after getting the kiddos out is to save this cookbook and my scrapbooks and photo albums, grin).
24. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia by Jerry Bridges
25. Favorite reading snack? pretzels and M&M's
26. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience. ??
27. How often do you agree with critics on a book? I don't know--I don't really follow "critics".
28. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? I don't really like to, but I will if it's necessary. I have a hard time staying off a soapbox once I get going on a bad review.
29. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? Atlas Shrugged, but I ended up loving it! (You should absolutely read it! Yes, Kristy and Carrie, I'm talking to you!) Or actually I should say The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer. I finished it, but I'm quite certain I didn't mine its depths!
30. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin? Will Durant's history books. When will I ever have time??
31. Favorite poet? Ha! I don't read much poetry I'm afraid. AA Milne or Shel Silverstein?? :)
32. Favorite fictional character? Oooh, that's a tough one! Hadassah from The Mark of the Lion trilogy? Or Jo from Little Women? Or Tom Sawyer, he's such a BOY--I'm sure this could become a very long list!
33. Favorite fictional villain? Beatty from Fahrenheit 451 (he just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!) or The White Witch from Narnia
34. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation? Something easy and escapist. Dare I admit I once took the Harry Potter series to the beach? A good murder mystery.
35. The longest I’ve gone without reading. Seasons, my friend, seasons. . .I've probably gone a week at some point.
36. What distracts you easily when you’re reading? Well, my children are about it.
37. Favorite film adaptation of a novel. Bleh, not usually a fan. But The Help was pretty true to the book and characterization I thought.
38. Most disappointing film adaptation? Where the Red Fern Grows--SUCH a wonderful book, such a lame movie! But I don't watch many film adaptations.
39. The most money I’ve spent in the bookstore at one time?
Are you trying to get me in trouble or what?!
40. How often do you skim a book before reading it? Frequently, but I DO NOT read the last few pages (like my dad does).
41. Do you like to keep your books organized? I aspire to keep them organized. . .They are mostly organized.
42. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
blush. Keep them.
43. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding? 50 Shades of Grey. And I'll continue to. I've read many books I didn't agree with simply to form my own opinion apart from "the hype". But I don't think I need to read that one.
44. Name a book that made you angry. A Child Called It. The Shack. The Child Catchers. Oh sorry, only one? I'll stop then.
45. A book you didn’t expect to like but did? Crime and Punishment
Ooh, this does look fun... and also rather difficult. My favorite of your answers: 12 -- the Seuss-inspired response, quite appropriate. :) And 29 -- how you're recruiting others. :)
ReplyDeleteWill Durant makes me laugh b/c I once had aspirations of finishing that series by a certain age... I've only read part of the first volume and tidbits from another one or two. Also, about the only thing I can recall off the top of my head from vol 1 is that a cannibal said white men taste like ripe banana. Of all things!
I enjoyed reading your responses.
:D It was kinda fun, but took longer than I thought it would! Can I look forward to reading YOUR responses?? :)
DeleteOkay! So this was WAY fun to read this morning....and we need the red chairs to talk about the book that I chose to read on your 'I am avoiding list.' Intrigued??
ReplyDeleteOkay! So this was WAY fun to read this morning....and we need the red chairs to talk about the book that I chose to read on your 'I am avoiding list.' Intrigued??
ReplyDelete