Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Belle Cora

Belle CoraBelle Cora by Phillip Margulies

I have mixed feelings about this book.

Things I liked about it:  it was easy to read and well-written enough that I wanted to find out what happened to the characters next (so I kept reading, even into the wee hours of the morning knowing my baby would awaken me shortly after).  I think the "historical fiction" aspect was particularly well done.

Things I didn't like:  The ending was very abrupt.  I think the author suddenly realized "Wow, this is getting pretty long!" so he killed her off before she could tell the rest of her life story.  Many of the other characters were also tidily wrapped up without explanation or in ways that were inconsistent with their character (ex:  her brothers and her son). 

I also didn't like the main character.  Now, one could argue that not liking the main character can indicate good characterization (GWTW anyone???), but I found her weak and selfish and manipulative and she never grew out of it.  There was indication in the beginning that people were scared of her, that she was intimidating, but I never found justification of those traits throughout the rest of the book. 

One last thing that frustrated me throughout the book was the depiction of christianity.  The author's worldview made it clear that he finds christians to be at least one if not a combination of the following:  gullible idiots, hypocrites, unloving and judgmental. 

3 comments:

  1. I've always wondered if I should re-read GWTW because as a teenager, I couldn't get over how much I detested Scarlett and enjoy the rest of the book.
    I find that reduction of christianity so often in books, and for me it's equally frustrating and sad- frustrating when it's by someone who clearly has had little actual interaction with christians, sad when it's by someone who's been burned by judgmental, hateful christians. Either way, everyone reading that author's work loses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Re-read GWTW! It's such a great work and Scarlett did grow-it just took her a long time.

      Delete
  2. I just read Gone with the Wind for the first time. I LOVED it! It was beautifully written. If you don't like the characters but still want to keep reading...that is well-written book.

    I also read Oh Pioneers by Willa Cather for the first time this year. Both historical fiction books...and both I am sorry I waited so long in life to enjoy! They sort of reminded me of each other (other than Pioneers was very short).

    In my teens I only read historical fiction. I think that I burned myself out and now rarely read it. I may have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!