Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Kiana in First Grade

Kiana is very excited to be in first grade.  She thinks this sounds waaaay bigger than kindergarten.

She is looking forward to resuming reading and can't wait to learn more about math (she's starting Math U See this year).  I bought her a couple of workbooks (we don't do many workbooks, but the kids are always excited about the ones I pick up) and she has been begging me to let her do them.

Kiana has had a great summer.  She had the opportunity to study ballet with a high school girl from our homeschool group.  She eagerly anticipated her weekly lesson and proved herself an apt student.  I knew this was a natural ability of hers, and am glad she has had this opportunity.  Other highlights of her summer included Vacation Bible School (I don't think any other child has ever loved VBS as much as she does!), Bible classes during the two-week meeting, and our trip to Chicago.

When we went to the Medieval Feast, she was chosen as "Queen of the Tournament."  Only if you know this little drama queen in real life will you fully understand how elated she was at this "honor", and just how much she hammed it up.  About a week after we got home, she asked me if she was still queen of the tournament.  Ummmm. . .

Like her big sis, Briana, she was enthralled by the Shedd Aquarium and probably would have been willing to swim with the sting rays, let alone pet them.  She enjoys learning about animals, and will continue nature walks this year.
In other studies, we are going to be learning about early American History using the Beautiful Feet program, I'll be introducing her to some great artists and composers, reading poetry and literature, and other science units.  She will be participating in a coop twice a month (which I hope to post more on later) and she will continue participating in Sparklers once a month, which is a young girls' club in our homeschool group.  She would like to take Tae Kwan Do, gymnastics, and ballet and learn to play the violin.  We won't be doing all of these, of course, but are still in the "considering" stage.  She is also showing more interest in helping around the house.  She asks to wash dishes and is a willing helper with cooking in the kitchen or sweeping floors.

I think we'll have a good year exploring and learning together!

4 comments:

  1. I love that she asked a week later if she could still be queen!

    Is it possible that she is getting cuter???? Her eyes are so sparkly!

    In your ample spare time, will you please share more about the sparkler program in your homeschool group? Sounds like you have a great homeschool group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really IS pretty adorable! :)

      And oh yes, sure, in my ample spare time. Another post! ;) Really, we do have a great homeschool group. One of the many thinks I am thankful for in regards to our move here.

      Delete
  2. I love how varied her interests are. A renaissance girl! And she's right, 1st grade does sound waaaay bigger than kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree -- first grade does sound way bigger than Kindergarten. :) What is it with these little ones who are in such a hurry to grow up? Tirzah wants more intense schoolwork this year, too. I'm glad they like to learn.

    That may be the cutest Queen of the Tournament I've ever seen. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!