Monday, August 25, 2014

Tyrell at Four

Since I didn't do curriculum week (bc I hadn't had my day of planning yet!) I'm combining curriculum plans with highlight posts of my students/children.  I thought it sounded fun to "sort-of" participate in this blog hop this year since we don't plan to start our formal studies until September 3.

nbts-blog-hop-calendar-2014
(oops, I see now that student photo week was supposed to be LAST week!  Oh well, I'm going to do it THIS week!)  (This is not a good start to the school year, folks!)

And Laura wants updates of the kiddos.  :)

So here's Tyrell.  And here is his post from last year--he sure has grown!
 Tyrell just turned four the end of July, so he is still firmly in preschool mode.  He is busy, busy, busy (and did I mention--busy!).  He is very bright, however, so I won't be surprised if he tags along with Kiana in some areas this year.  He already knows many letters and letter sounds from watching her learn last year.  To be honest, he likes to antagonize her by shouting them out when I am doing flash cards with her.  (Sigh.  Yes, you can imagine it now, can't you?  His sparkling eyes as he shouts out the answer, her whirling on him in anger telling him to stop saying the answers, him giggling as he runs off out of the room.  He takes his role of annoying little brother very seriously.)
For his birthday this year, he got to go to an Iowa Cubs game AND to Chuck E Cheese with cousins.  Spoiled little boy.  Then he had a friend over on his birthday, they played and then they made his birthday cake.  

What?  You make your children's birthday cakes yourself?  Well, remember this tip for a year when you're on a treadmill that someone keeps turning up the speed and you simply can't get your footing.  Invite a friend over, have your child and the friend chop up Oreos and sprinkle them over the cake (dirt), and then let them carefully place all the toy tractors, backhoes, and other such stuff on top.  Voila!  Birthday cake!  I'll pretend with you that you're doing it because you are a wonderfully organized mom if you'll pretend with me this time!
For school this year, Tyrell's primary focus will be learning through play--playing with blocks, puzzles, games, building toys like Zoobs and Tinker Toys, coloring pictures, etc.  We will also be reading lots and lots of books--both picture books and he also listens in on the chapter book read-alouds.
He will love being a part of our study of early American history, especially the hands on activities, games, and cooking.  And I fully expect him to tag along with crafts and science units.  I think one of his favorite times this year will be the two days a month when he gets to spend time with Briana while I take Easton and Kiana to their cooperative study day (more on this later).  She is planning some short units around literature for them to do together as special brother and sister time.  I also expect he'll be a big help with entertaining Aryana while I'm working with Easton and Kiana.  He is so good with her and she absolutely adores him.  There is never a boring moment with him around!

4 comments:

  1. I love kiddo updates. I love hearing how other family's homeschool. I love birthday pictures. I even love Chuck E Cheese. I LOVE THIS POST! :) (Thanks!)

    A 4-year old is a squirmy, tricky thing. JoJo longs to do school all day like her sister and keeps telling people that she can read. (She thought this magically happened the moment she turned four.) I appreciate hearing about your handsome 4-year olds homeschool day. I will let Jo read it. LOL!

    Your cake 'advice' had me LOLing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome! Thanks for the inspiration/nudge/request/demand. . . lol

      Delete
  2. Cade does the EXACT same thing to Atticus: I ask any random question (And what letter is this? If you put 2 and 1 together, how many do you have? What sound does this letter make?) and before Atticus has a chance to answer, Caedmon shouts it out then runs out of harm's way. This is, apparently, hilarious to 3- and 4-year-old's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, the serious annoying little brother. :) I can picture that exchange, w/Kiana's dramatic exasperation, too. ;) They are so cute and precious.

    The cake looks great and I love the idea of letting them decorate it themselves. Great multitasking! :) I might have used the idea for Abraham if Bethany hadn't already had her heart set on making one similar to that for him for a while. He'll probably still like machines next year though, so I'll have to keep it in mind.

    The special sibling time makes me smile, especially w/big sister. Precious moments. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!