"I'm trying to explain myself, trying to make myself known.
Because isn't that the point of every relationship:
to be known by someone else, to be understood?
Because isn't that the point of every relationship:
to be known by someone else, to be understood?
He gets me. She gets me. Isn't that the simple magic phrase?"
(Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn pg 29)
I copied that quote from a book I didn't particularly enjoy because it was the best passage and really resonated with me. To be known--to be understood. . .well, that's just important to me, and frankly, it's rare.
Earlier this year I got to travel to New York to see just such a friend. Even though we hadn't seen one another for nearly four years, she still gets me.
And dare I presume to say that I get her as well?
Some friendships are wonderful but based on external similarities, whether they be a stage in life or similar life choices. Other friendships transcend such superficiality and are based on knowing the other person--recognizing who they are underneath the stages and life situations--and not just accepting but also genuinely liking that inner person. It's somewhat scary to open oneself up to let another person see who we really are. It makes us vulnerable as they might not like what they see. It requires intimacy - "into me see".
Something I appreciate about this friendship is that we feel no need to put one another in a box. Neither of us expects the other to make identical decisions and life choices. Rather, we each expect the other to grow in her individual walk with the Lord. We don't try to hold one another back but allow and even encourage the other to grow. We give one another support, not critical judgement.
We went to New York City and had a wonderful day seeing all the tourist attractions, visiting with her friend, and riding the train, subway, ferry, trolley and in a taxi--not to mention all the walking. We laughed our heads off over the downpour that drenched us on the trolley, giggled some more at our crazy adventures in Chinatown, and hooted and snorted with laughter while learning how to open doors.
![]() |
| "I'm as miserable as I've ever been!" |
Sharing our hearts, thoughts, fears, dreams, struggles, and successes.
Reconnecting. Understanding and being understood.
I do recognize and value this rare gift.
Traveling seems a good excuse to see one another.
Perhaps we should go to Europe next. Or Australia.




How are you able to make me both laugh and cry at the same time while reading this? Ditto.. Just ditto friend:-)
ReplyDeleteTold you it was kinda sappy. ;)
DeleteAw, that IS really rare! I'm so happy you have that in your life, even if I'm just the teensiest bit jealous of your travel photos (except for the wet one; I do NOT handle having to walk around with wet feet well at all; just one of my little -isms).
ReplyDelete