Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Few Recently-Read, Easy Fiction Books

The Coffin Quilt: The Feud Between the Hatfields and the McCoysThe Coffin Quilt: The Feud Between the Hatfields and the McCoys by Ann Rinaldi

The Coffin Quilt was an interesting take on the Hatfield and McCoy feud told from the perspective of Fanny, the youngest of the 14 McCoy children.  It was a quick, easy read for our first day of summer break while the kids played and I had some back issues getting me down.

I enjoyed the colloquialisms scattered throughout the story such as:
--"Don't ever be pushed into a promise.  Say you'll study on it." (86)
--"made everybody nervous as an ugly girl at a box-supper auction" (143)

I thought it was interesting to ponder the ways the different siblings reacted to the feuding.  Some jumped right in, others thought they could make an alliance to end it, while another group retreated into denial, and still others literally physically escaped, leaving behind the observations that "They like it, Fanny, all the fighting.  Get away.  Stay out of it, Fanny, do.  Or it'll destroy you.  I love Ma and Pa, but they're crazy.  This whole family is" (171).

I also thought it was interesting to consider the idea of someone being "overly religious" and "preaching prayer instead of action" to the detriment of the family.  "The things we don't do are just as bad as the things we do in this life.  It can drive you pure daft, if you think about it."

It wasn't a wonderful book, but I liked it fine for a little break.

The Princess Bride The Princess Bride by William Goldman


This book was just fun--a quick, easy, fantastical read.  My favorite part was his use of parenthetical statements that made me laugh.  It was ridiculous, and I was ready for it to be over, but it was fun while it lasted.  I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.




I thought this was a very clever idea--to take several (strange) old photographs and let them inspire a fantastical story about "peculiar" children with varied gifts and the monsters who seek them.

It enjoyed this book for a relaxing Saturday afternoon escape and think I shall try to read its sequel.


4 comments:

  1. Is your back feeling any better?

    (thanks for the book updates!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laura, much better! Thankful for my chiropractor! :)

      Delete
  2. I keep hearing mixed reviews about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I didn't know about the idea behind it, which is cool. If you liked it, then I'm more curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it three out of five stars on Goodreads for "like it" not "really liked it". There are other books I would certainly recommend first, but this was fine for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!