First, the chicken is put into a jug head down, where his thro
Once the blood is adequately drained, Destry dips the chickens into scalding water. . .
then he puts them into the chicken plucker that Alan built several years ago. It only takes about 30 seconds to pluck the feathers off two chickens. This is much easier for Alan than the years he plucked the chickens by hand.
After this point, the chickens go to Alan's station where he cuts off the feet and neck and removes the guts from the cavity, cleaning the inside of the chicken as well as he can.
Destry usually has the delightful job of cleaning the gizzard, which is usually full of feed and corn and other appetizing crud.
At this point, the chickens are placed in ice cold water, where they wait for Briana and I to cut them up.
I have an unusual system in dividing the chickens into different types of meals for our family. First, we cut the legs off and divide them into legs and thighs. These go into one freezer bag designated 'fryer' which we use to make fried chicken or bake in various recipes. Then we remove the wings and cut them into three pieces, one of which is discarded and the other two will become buffalo or barbecue wings. The next step is to remove boneless, skinless chicken breasts which I use in many different recipes (this is always the first cut I run out of). Finally, the breastbone and back are deposited into my big roaster pan with a lot of water to cook on a low heat. I leave a few chickens whole to bless family and friends or to bake with rice stuffing. . .yummy!
It is so rewarding to see the freezer stacked with these cuts of chicken to feed our family through the next year.
The next step involves picking the chicken meat off the bones and canning the meat and broth for chicken and noodles, dumplings, casseroles and soups. I've frozen the broth and meat before, but my preference is to can it, because it is SO convenient to pop open a jar when you have unexpected company and whip up some dumplings without waiting for the meat and broth to thaw. Kiana got involved in this step, stuffing the meat into the jars.
Look at how many meals I'll get out of all that yummy meat and broth! I love chicken--it is so versatile.
Alas, there is no picture of Easton and Kiana trashing their bedroom while we were busy butchering. They got the fish food from under the aquarium (which is a no-no in the first place!), and took it into their room where they dumped it all over their carpet and beds and were running around in it, throwing it into the air like confetti and yelling 'whooo! whooo!' I didn't know whether to cry, laugh, spank them, or run away. . . Shall I mention how hard it is to get flaky fish food out of Kiana's hair?! I knew it was awfully quiet in there, and then that telltale 'whoo' prompted me to wash my hands and go see what was going on. They always know when we are busy and distracted, don't they. After that, they had to play in the living room where I could see them or they had to help with what they could! :)
i wish i knew how to cut up a chicken "right" so i could do all that like you. i get tired of whole chickens. you may have to teach me someday:) i really wish you would have had a picture of them trashing their room. it would have been priceless:) gotta love em!
ReplyDeleteMy mom remembers very little about her childhood, but she vividly remembers butchering the chickens every year. I think Gma said they did about 200-250 a year. Interesting look at how it all goes down at your place.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice bunch of chicken Shonya. Yummy this winter with noodles!
ReplyDeleteoh wow shonya! you go!!!!!!!!! if only i could get past the blood....
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! We city slickers need some lessons in things like that! I think it's great that you do all that yourselves. So, what do you do with the feet?
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed. I'm really impressed. And, Grandma would be so proud of all the things that you are learning to do, Shonya. How satisfying it must be to see all the fruits of your labor lined up on the shelves and packed into your freezer!
ReplyDeleteAmber, we just throw the feet out at our house--it's not the Great Depression! :) The dogs eat them. . .gross, hmmmm? But I've heard of people doing things with them--peeling the little bit of meat out of them and maybe pickling them? I'll let you know if we ever get that desperate. . . :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Connie, for the encouragement. You know bringing Grandma into it always makes it even better! :) I wish I had been smart enough to learn more from her while we had her. . . oh, the foolishness of youth!
ReplyDeleteBree, if I hadn't been so frustrated, I probably would have taken a picture of them. . .and I'm still waiting for the call to come cut up chickens with you! :)
ReplyDelete