Monday, October 5, 2009

Simply Living

I'm in a place I never thought I would be. Everyone would believe it, indeed expect it, from Alan. I guess I've just gone along for the ride--and discovered I enjoy it. It's actually quite fun and rewarding to do something for yourself. I certainly have an independent streak, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. There's such a sense of accomplishment in knowing you did something--made it yourself and are not dependent on others--that you could maybe survive without all the niceties of life.

I've discovered I truly enjoy having a milk cow. The butter, sour cream, yogurt, homemade ice cream and milk are lots of fun. But the real fun, for me, is in the cheese. Isn't this just a beautiful yield?! I love making mozzarella and also enjoy fromage blanc, which can be used like cream cheese (in cooking or dips), like ricotta (in lasagna or calzones), or in recipes like Cheese and Pepper Biscuits (mmmm, good!).

Notice that beautiful whey left in the pot. Well, research says whey is excellent for pigs, and reduces their feed bill by 30-40%. So, yes, we once again are raising pigs for the freezer, and they like the whey!They're a lot bigger than this already, and on less feed than it took last time. Isn't that a great perk to my bizarre new hobby of making cheese? Alan finished building me a cheese press tonight (that man can do anything!).
Yes, it's that white thing with the black circles on top and bottom. You put the cheese in there, screw it down, then put the gauge on top and press the cheese at the assigned weight for the prescribed amount of time. Guess I'll be graduating from soft cheeses to hard cheeses. (You see, he thinks everyone can do everything, just like he can!!!) Hope it works!

It's really interesting to think of how the 'simple life' works. I remember once several years ago talking with my Grandma (who was born in 1916) about her life as a child and young mother. As I thought of all my modern conveniences, I commented that I was glad I lived in this time period because she had to work so hard! She surprised me as she returned with "Oh, honey, you kids have it a lot harder than I ever did!" She went on to comment on the busyness of life and the many stresses we now have in our culture. "We worked hard, yes," she said, "but our life was simple and we enjoyed life instead of trying to keep up with running all the time."

I think I can sort of see what she was saying now, especially since we went on a 'field trip' this past weekend to a home where the people have reverted to the 'simple life' with no electricity, gas, or running water. I think their main focus is about being 'green' and living a simpler life to regain their focus and proper relationships. They work just to survive--just to provide for their basic needs. Alan thought it would be great to try for a week or two--no cell phone, computer, TV. . .just stress-free hard work. (He's cut from a different mold than I am!! I'm pretty sure I need my washing machine, stove, fridge and dishwasher!!!) But it WAS fascinating, and very peaceful. I can see how it would be easier to keep the proper focus and enjoy our relationships more without all the distractions, interruptions, and busyness.

The kids certainly enjoyed the day. Destry and some other boys couldn't wait for their turn at the hand tools used in working with wood.

The cider press was a big hit. . .especially when they got to enjoy the fruit of their labor!

And Briana had fun making beeswax candles with some of her friends.
So, overall, it was a good day and motivated me to be more productive with my time and to cut out more busyness so we can enjoy the simpler things in life. For example, guess what will be happening to these "no longer cute and little chicks" on Saturday!!!

3 comments:

  1. one word.... WOW! i can not even imagine living life without all that. i could do without tv but my cell phone and computer.... not so much! and running water!!!! i have to have that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post this morning and it has been torturing my mind ever since. Oh how I crave to eliminate the busyness. Speaking of the proper focus....am I too late to join you in the bible study?Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are so cute. I bought a few things to make cheese - starter cultures, rennet, etc. But then the cow went dry because she's due to calf any day. So I'm having to wait, but I'm really looking forward to trying this out. Maybe I can get my hubby to make me a press too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!