Monday, November 9, 2009

Books I'd Like to Read

I have a disease. I think it's called 'bibliophiliac' or something similar. I've been hearing about some books that I think I want to read. I don't know when I'm going to have time for these, so I'm jotting them down here in case I have time some other day (month, year. . .) Here is my list:

'Crazy Love' by Francis Chan

'12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (like me)' by John Fischer (seriously check out the table of contents listed below--doesn't this book sound thought-provoking?!)

Table of Contents

Step 1. We admit that our single, most unmitigated, pleasure is to judge other people. — Step 2. We believe that our sole means of obtaining greatness is to make everyone else out to be lower than ourselves in our own mind. — Step 3. We realize that we detest mercy being given to those who, unlike us, haven't worked for it and don't deserve it. — Step 4. We have decided that we don't want to get what we deserve after all, and we really don't want anybody else to either. — Step 5. We have ceased all attempts to apply teaching and rebuke to anyone but ourselves. — Step 6. We're entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of attitude and character. — Step 7. Embraced the belief that we are, and will always be, experts at sinning. — Step 8. Looked closely at the lives of men and women of the bible who loved God and whom God loved, and took note of the fact that they, too, were very colorful sinners, even as God worked through them. — Step 9. Sought, through prayer and meditation, to make a conscious effort at considering others as better than ourselves. — Step 10. Have come to recognize the state of astonishment as a permanent and glorious reality. — Step 11. Continued to take personal inventory of our lives, taking particular care to rid ourselves of any attitude that is not bathed in gratitude. — Step 12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others outside the church who have bought the wrong idea that a christian is someone who is better than anyone else.

I know, this is only two, because I already own probably 10 books I haven't had a chance to read yet. These are just two more that I don't own, but they certainly pique my attention!

What are you reading right now? What would you love to read if you had a little more time?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have no idea what you're talking about at all. Just ignore all those books on the shelves behind me. ;)

    Those sound like potentially interesting reads.

    I keep lists of books and notes about them. Books I want to read. Books I need to read. Books to look into. Books I liked. Books I didn't like. Books I want to buy or recheck from the library....

    Currently reading? Which is not the same thing as an endorsement, by the way -- when I'm done with it then I will know whether I liked it or not. Not counting the Bible or reference books or books with/for the children, some things I've been working on recently -- slooowly, mind you: Competent to Counsel by Jay Adams and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

    Would love to read w/more time? That could get long really fast!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!