Have you ever been invited to something and you find that wondering what to wear takes all the fun out of planning to go? I don't do this very often; for the most part I am pretty comfortable in my own skin and don't worry about what covers it. The only time I think about this is when I dwell on what other people might think. Will they be offended by what I am wearing? Is what I'm wearing appropriate for the situation? Will what I'm wearing reflect badly on someone else?
I felt this way when I went to a business meeting with my husband once. I wore my standard brown gouchos. There were women in evening wear. Oops! Now I have to admit--I was more comfortable in my clothes, I didn't go out and spend a fortune, and I was modestly clothed. But my concern there was a fear of making my husband look bad. (I'll know better next time!).
My standards of dress tend to be pretty simple: modest, it fits, and inexpensive. I've come to realize that some people have a big ole long list of rules for clothing. I recently told a friend she was more observant than I and had spent a lot more time thinking about this than I have!
So, my conclusion? To quote Popeye: "I yam what I yam." I am not who you see on the outside. I am thankful that 'the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.' I guess I'll wear what I have. If you look at just what I'm wearing, and stop there, you aren't going to know me. The clothes do not make the woman. I could use clothes to portray any persona you want me to--but that wouldn't be honest. I prefer to just be myself.
Who am I?
I am Yours
Not because of who I am, but because of what You've done,
Not because of what I've done, but because of who You are.
good post! i am glad you are what you are:)
ReplyDeleteWe teach our kids this as well. Very well put!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe only time I really worry about this is when I go to my husbands family or business things. Other wise I don't really care. Funny though I can't bring myself to wear sweatpants to work. My boss could careless and his wife with regularly wear sweatpants in, but I just can't do it. Jeans is as casual as I can go.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bree--I like you, too!!! :D
ReplyDelete