Friday, January 1, 2010

My God is So Big

“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you're bigger.
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.” - C.S. Lewis (Prince Caspian pg. 151)

Are you like me? Is God a little more amazing, a little more awesome, a little 'bigger' than He used to be?

I find this quote so interesting. I was blessed to hear about my Creator from birth, longer even than I can remember. But my perception of Him has changed so much over the years. So often, when we are little we perceive things as being really large, but as we grow, we realize they are actually much smaller than we thought. Have you gone back to your elementary school and looked at what used to be 'big' and realized how small it is? Have you seen a person that you remembered as a giant when you were little, but now find them to be average-sized--if not a little on the smaller side of average? But it doesn't work that way with God.

And one thing that stands out to me is the word 'grow'. It seems to me that if we are not growing, if we are not striving on toward perfection/maturity. . .we will not find Him bigger.

May 2010 be a year that I find God bigger. And may you find God bigger this year as well.

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated and I definitely appreciated hearing your thoughts. You expanded a bit and I needed to hear this again. Of course, I kind of need to hear it EVERY day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart swells reading this post...beautifully and so truthfully said!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what awesomeness! and i've seen the movie so many times! how did i miss this??? love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, that wasn't "airik" my husband, that was me. sorry! guess he checked his email since the last time i've commented on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for blessing that over us! I do pray that we all find God bigger this year. As God grows bigger we grow smaller. More of Him and less of self.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Where did you run across this thought? Crazy to me that this is the entire theme of chapter 4 in The Rest of God book by Mark Buchanan that I am reading and blogging about right now. What a really small world! Must be something I need to stop and meditate on for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!