We watched this movie again last night, and I just want to invite you to watch it as well. I'm going to try really hard not to spoil it for you as I share my musings. It's kind of confusing as it has lots of flashbacks and even foreshadowing so sometimes you don't understand exactly what is going on, but it all comes together at the end. It is even more enjoyable to watch the second time, in my opinion.
In a nutshell, this movie is about a moment in time that changes your life. It is about a woman deciding between life and death for her unborn child. It is about a man learning to live again after a tragic moment.
There were several other thoughts prompted by this movie, however. I couldn't help but think about how different people's lives can be. One person may have lost a parent when she was a child, have no siblings, and her other parent just checked out when the spouse died. In contrast, another person has lively, joyful parents and brothers who express their love in words, action, hugs, and spending time together. The first person goes through major life events and pain such as job loss or unplanned pregnancy without a support system--totally alone. The second person, in contrast, experiences unbelievable pain, grief, regret and tragedy--but his family is by his side through every step.
This movie also made me think about priorities and seizing the moment. It made me think about putting others before myself. As you're busy with your day, and what you are doing seems sooooooooo important, are you willing to ditch it all because you see a need? What if ditching it all is going to really cost you--your entire day, emotional intimacy, perhaps your job and money?? It's not convenient; it's not fun; it's not what you feel like doing. But someone needs you. The choice you make can affect the other person for their entire life. The choice you make can affect the rest of YOUR life.
Finally, the concept of hospitality stood out to me in this movie and made me examine myself. I couldn't help noticing how a family simply had an open door. They weren't worried about the house, what they were having for food, or about their own selfish plans. Instead, they cheerfully welcomed anyone at anytime. Their sons knew they could bring anyone home at the drop of the hat and they would be welcomed with open arms. This is how I want to be. I want my children and husband to not even think about if it would be 'ok' to bring someone home with them (but I have to admit I'm not there yet!)
I love the growth experienced by the characters of this movie. I saw selflessness heal a shattered heart and life when the character responded to need in someone else. I saw gratitude replace selfishness and despair. I saw life cover the gaping wound of death.







I know a movie I'm going to go watch now....:)
ReplyDeleteShonya, I love the "open door" idea, and like you, I'm not there yet. In fact, I've got a long way to go. It's a wonderful goal, though. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThat is one of my favorite movies ever.
ReplyDeletethanks for a movie idea. i will have to watch it soon.
ReplyDelete