It may sound crazy if you've never experienced it, but in some ways I feel like we have adopted our children's birthparents right along with their children. They become extended family members. You know how it is when your child does something, and you think they are absolutely the cutest, brightest, funniest and most darling child on the planet?? And even as you have friends and family members who love your children, they can only endure your doting so long before their eyes start to glaze over? Well, birthparents love your child, too, and they are so hungry to hear every detail about that child. They agree with you over how amazing that child is, they revel in identifying traits that they have a genetic contribution toward, and they have a tolerantly bemused attitude toward childish misbehaviors.
I cherish the relationships we have with Easton and Kiana's birthparents. I am glad to share these memories and milestones with them, and I am especially grateful for the interest they have in maintaining a relationship with their children and being available should Easton or Kiana have questions about their medical history, their birth families, or the circumstances of their adoption plans.
I share all that to build up to the fact that I am DYING to get a letter from Cleara! In addition to our original profile letter, I have written her three letters and I have been haunting my mailbox these last few days in anticipation of hearing from her. I look forward to hearing more about her life and about her pregnancy experience and the hopes and dreams she has for her little girl's future. I desperately want, and pray for, this connection with her, too--for my coming daughter's sake as much as anything. I feel like the more contact we have pre-placement, the more relationship we will be able to build and the more 'answers' I'll have for my daughter's future questions.
It's hard to review this book, but I will (at this point anyway) just highlight the most basic messages of the book. The first 75 pages focus on dispelling some common myths about adoption which are:
- The birthmother obviously doesn't care about her child or she wouldn't have given him away.
- Secrecy in every phase of the adoption process is necessary to protect all parties.
- Both the birthmother and the birthfather will forget about their unwanted child.
- If the adoptee really loved his adoptive family, he would not have to search for his birthparents.
The second half of the book shares information related to some adoption facts including
- Adoption is a lifetime experience (it does not go away once the 'process' is over).
- Adoptive parents will never totally parent their child; and adoptees will never be totally parented by their adoptive parents (This seems confusing, but think about the fact that only the biological parents can pass on their biological heritage and genetic future. Thus both adoptive and birthparents have their unique role in making up the person their child will become. "Adoption is the process of accepting the responsibility of raising an individual who has two sets of parents.")
- Birthparents remain a part of the adoptee's life (whether physically separated or reunited).
- Individuals handle their lives and their destinies best when addressed with trust and honesty instead of protective secrecy and half truths.
Dispersed throughout the book are tear-wrenching examples of letters written between birthparents and adoptive parents sharing the depth of each parent's love for their child, their joy in the child, their plans and dreams for their child, and ultimately, their appreciation for one another and the roles played in their child's life.
I echo the full title of the book--Dear Birthmother, Thank You for Our Baby.
ohhhh...I pray a letter comes quickly to your mailbox. I love the thought of extended family members. God's ways are always so big....
ReplyDeleteThat just made me sigh...praying a letter comes quickly. Beautiful...
ReplyDeletewow, talk about tears springing to someones eyes. that was one of the best posts i have ever read of yours. so, so true and just an eye opener for those of us that have not ever adopted. i truly think you are amazing for what you do and for your compassion for all involved! easton, kiana and their birth families will thank you some day for the great person that you are and how you always have that door open for communication! praying you receive a letter soon and that cleara is as involved as easton and kiana's birthparents. can't wait to hear that excitementin your voice when that letter comes:)
ReplyDeleteI can relate so much to the antcipation at the mailbox! I can't wait for you to receive the first letter. Love ya, Marcy
ReplyDelete