I finished the Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers again earlier this week. There are so many themes present in that series, and I pick up on them more each time I read the series. You sense the themes the first time you read it, but the author is not at all 'preachy' and you get pretty caught up in the story and the incredible characterization (these people are my FRIENDS, I'm telling you!). But in successive times through the series, I know what's going to happen--I am aware of the destination--and it becomes about the *journey*; it becomes about how they get there. I'm not going to ruin the storyline for you (for you truly *must* read it--chuckle), but some of the wonderful themes present include refining by fire, overcoming fear, the consequences of sin, selflessness, the heart of a servant, perseverance, love, and peace.
The main theme I'm reviewing in my mind and heart these last couple days is that of peace. Throughout the books Hadasssah and Rizpah, two female christians, are described again and again in terms of peace. Unbelievers are drawn to them because of the peace they show through trials while fellow believers are encouraged by the peace they possess. The author shows them just going about their day-to-day life and being observed by someone else who marvels at the peace in their face and longs for that peace which he himself can't seem to obtain.
I wonder, in this story of my life, if someone would look at Shonya and say she is characterized by peace? It is an admirable quality for sure, and not something which can be manufactured (read: you can't just fake it, nor can you do it of your own will). Rather, it is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) and only from God can we acquire peace that is beyond understanding (Philippians 4:7).
In contrast, this life on earth is more easily characterized by turmoil, conflict, strife, stress, drama, and uncertainty. Some even seem to thrive on drama, whether they create it or are drawn to it. We are more likely to see someone and describe them as harried than we are to marvel at their peace or serenity.
I certainly go to God with issues in my life, and I am secure in His arms. But I have to admit I can't always say I rest in His arms. Sometimes I lie there fitfully, tossing restlessly when I just can't (won't?) let go of something. Sometimes I am like the recalcitrant child you try to rock to sleep and they just won't lie still so you finally have to give them a little swat, tell them to lie still, and then hold them closely and firmly until they finally give in, relax, and go to sleep. Because you know they just need to go to sleep, you know they need to trust you, you know what is best for them. Hmmmm. . .have you ever had a swat from the Lord when you refused to rest in His arms??
"Taste and see that the Lord is good," Psalm 34:8 says and later in verse 14 "depart from evil and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." I love this entire psalm, but am especially struck today by the command to seek and pursue peace. I wonder what that looks like? We really can't claim peace when peace is not there as Jeremiah illustrates with "They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. 'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace" (6:14).
I'm talking about true peace, the peace that comes when the mind is controlled by the Spirit.
Love this post--thank you, Shonya!
ReplyDelete