Sunday, October 10, 2010

Following the Rules

I have all sorts of thoughts swirling around in my head as a result of some of the books I've read recently.

I'm a rule-follower. That's what I've decided after some serious introspection. I am a "rules are made for following" type of person, not a "rules are made for breaking" type of person. I tend to think authority should be respected, and can get really frustrated and irritated when I perceive that someone isn't following the rules.

I wonder why I am this way. Is it my particular personality? Is it the way I was raised (for surely, I was expected to obey my parents--period--no questions asked)? As I read on another blog, could it be that I'm a product of a public school system with an unspoken agenda?
"I think it was John Taylor Gatto's book "Dumbing Us Down" that talked about what the schools really teach us and what the unspoken agenda reveals. A must read. Didn't you learn to be subordinate in school? To talk only when spoken to? To not disrupt the schedule or lesson with your own ideas or train of thought? To do the same thing everyone else was doing? To follow the leader? Hmmm....something to think about."

I recently finished The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (thanks for the tip, Amanda! smile). This was a thought-provoking series (not to mention just an enjoyable read), and the first book triggered memories of "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson and "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell, short stories I read back in high school. It also made me think of Lois Lowry's The Giver and The Messenger. Do you remember these books and short stories? Do you remember a society in which people lose all freedom, even to the point they don't know freedom exists? Do you remember that freaky story in which everyone gathers for the annual lottery, and then the reader is shocked to find the villagers don't even question the tradition of stoning someone to death and begin throwing stones at their neighbor, mother, wife?

Interestingly, I find my son is more willing to question the rules. For example, you may remember the knife he made and wears on his belt.
He really sees no reason he can't wear it everywhere he goes. The store, church, Walmart. . .he thinks it's quite dumb when his dad or I tell him to take it off. I remember we went to a church meeting in Kansas City over Memorial Day weekend, and he was wearing it and was asked to take it off. He questioned us as to why this was necessary, and Alan discovered it was because of an insurance policy the church had.
Frankly, my first instinct is irritation with him at moments like these. What's the big deal, just take it off, I think. They just want to make sure no one gets hurt and they don't know you are responsible with it. You won't be needing it in the meeting anyway. All the senseless acts of violence have skewed our perceptions in our current society. Just go with the flow, don't make a big deal, let it go.

But then I wonder. Is this how we lose our freedoms--when we just go with the flow? When we don't stand up and say "this is a stupid law."

As I think about it, I'm reminded how irritated I got at the over-regulation at a skating rink recently. I wasn't allowed to hold my daughter while skating (okay, I submitted, knowing people are sue-happy and their insurance company probably mandates such rules), but then when I set her on a ledge and let my arms hang on either side of her so she could watch her dad, brothers and sisters, I was told that she couldn't sit on that ledge. That was an extra straw and tipped my scales toward irritation. This is my daughter, I am right here, and if she falls, it's my responsibility--don't tell me what to do. Obviously, I didn't say anything, but that's what I was thinking. And then I think of stupid laws that infringe on our freedoms--like car seats and seat belts (anyone else noticing a common theme here--that of insurance companies? hmmm)--and I'm reminded of Patrick Henry asserting "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."

This brings me to the possibility of the Supreme Court declaring protests at military funerals to be unconstitutional. Now don't get me wrong, I don't support these self-righteous protesters in any way, and think what they're doing is rude, classless, and grossly disrespectful. But to declare such protests unconstitutional? Wow. The fact that it's a possibility, and that Americans support such a decision scares me. We have become a society that expects the government to take care of us, and will cheerfully hand over our freedoms without even thinking of long-term effects and the doors that we are opening (or closing).
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. Thomas Jefferson
I want to submit to the authorities that are placed over me, as God commands. I do wonder sometimes what will become of our country as we continue to rebel against God. History shows He is more than capable of using the rise and fall of governments to discipline His people and draw them back to Him. I think about these books and observe what goes on around me, and I wonder. . .to follow the rules, or not to follow the rules. . .

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves. Ronald Reagan

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. Ronald Reagan

5 comments:

  1. Outrage overwhelms me. I'm trying to compose myself, remain calm.
    Imagine your son has just died defending the very freedom you write about. He's put himself directly in harms way to defend not only our freedom but the freedom of those who have not the ability to fight for themselves. He has died at the hands of those who wish to robe us of those freedoms, those who make it necessary for "stupid laws" about carrying knives in public places. You prepare yourself to lay him to rest. People (who you have never met, people who know nothing about your son, about his faith, about his life) line the road to his bodies final resting place with signs that proclaim he will "Burn in Hell". Signs that tell the world it is a blessing from God he was killed. All because a homophobic pastor doesn't approve of our countries policies.
    That is more then rude, it's more the grossly disrespectful. It's libel! It's emotionally abusive to his friends and family. Someone's funeral is not the place to protest a policy. Especially one that has nothing to do with that person. Fred Phelps has every right to think what he wants about our country, it's policies, and homosexuals for that matter, but to abuse and defame another person in the interest of acquiring sensational headlines for his cause, he has no right. His acts and the acts of his followers infringe on other peoples freedoms.
    I respect you and your opinion, but on this particular topic I think you're wrong. I hope you don't take offense at anything I've said, that is never my intent. I just wanted to voice my opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corin, fortunately, we still have freedom of speech (so far), so you're welcome to voice your opposition. smile

    And I hope you don't misunderstand my opinion regarding Fred Phelps and his followers. That wasn't the primary topic of this post, so I didn't go into it, but for the record, I think Fred Phelps is a pawn of Satan. I can just see Satan laughing manically as this man defames the name of Christ, turns people from following HIM, and provides reason for our freedoms in this country to be further eroded until we will no longer be allowed to follow the True Christ without persecution.

    I can tell you I don't know what we should do about Phelps--I'm not wise enough to know what to do, but I'm sure someone could come up with a better solution than punishing the rest of us with the removal of our freedoms. Perhaps people should continue counter protests and he will be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of those against him. Or perhaps the media should get smart and stop giving him attention for his stunts--at this point, what he's doing is paying off for him. I honestly don't know what would be better.

    But I do stand by my opinion that this is not a matter that requires amendment or misinterpretation of the Constitution of the United States of America and thus steals my and your freedom. I invite you to carefully consider what this might mean to you and your children in the future. If we are going to regulate speech, remove the right to peaceably assemble, and impede the free exercise of religion. . .who is going to decide what speech is acceptable? Who is going to approve certain exercises of religion while prohibiting others? I am not confident that such decisions and regulation will be in my favor, so I'm not willing to take away someone else's rights that *I* personally don't agree with.

    What a sad irony it will be if our freedoms are lost over protesters exercising said freedom at the funerals of *soldiers who died to protect these very freedoms of speech, religion and assembly* in their country. (There have been similar issues over the years, as people protested the Vietnam War for example, and people were dying to protect their freedom to protest!)

    If we give in to this ploy and forfeit our freedoms, these soldiers died in vain.

    Once we start taking away the rights of those we don't agree with, we open the door for those who don't agree with us to take away our rights. That's a door I'm not willing to mess with regardless of how strongly and passionately I believe he is wrong. I hope I am expressing these thoughts in a way that you are able to see where I am coming from (NOT endorsing or minimizing Phelps' actions in any way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we're at an impasse. Slander is not a right. I'd also like to argue that a funeral is not a public venue at which people have the right to peacefully (if you can call toting blasphemous signs and yelling cruel and hateful things peaceful) assemble. Is it okay to protest a wedding? How about a child's birthday party? I pray you never have to endure what these soldiers' families have had to. True or not it hurts to have someone actively work to destroy the memory of your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I hate what Phelps has done to our country and these poor families, I have to agree with the principle you stated;

    "Once we start taking away the rights of those we don't agree with, we open the door for those who don't agree with us to take away our rights."

    Your post in it's entirety was very well said.
    In today's world, we aren't too far from seeing how the tables will turn on us as Christians. Islam has done this in other countries and desires to do it here. They want to control what we say about their prophet, how we depict him and threaten to kill those who won't back down.

    As our country drifts away from God, it's hard not to imagine that Satan intends to suppress us as believers. I can already imagine the day where "controversial" Scripture is illegal to be preached because it hurts and offends. Where teaching our children to speak up for godly principles can get our children taken away from us.

    I believe our federal government has taken control over way to many areas of our lives. Germans learned the hard way as they let government take over in order to watch out for them. When they realized they lost control, it was already too late for 6 million Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you're saying, Sharon, and there are many examples from history (Germany is an excellent one!) that the US needs to pay attention to. And as for Islam, I've read that Europe is realizing they are in trouble as many countries have passively sacrificed their freedoms and ideals and are now being overrun by Muslims whose ideals they don't agree with. I think our country will probably do the same--like a frog in a pan of water, we are too distracted by our selfish pursuits to notice when the water is getting hot.

    I am grateful that the One who is in me is greater than he who is in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!