
My cousin recently asked how to get kids to do chores around the house--and how to make it somewhat fun. After thinking about it, I told her I think the key is to work WITH them. Our children love to spend time with us, and if we spend some of that time working, we teach them that work can be enjoyable at the same time we teach them life skills and character traits such as responsibility and diligence.

Another tip I passed on was to let children do 'work' before they are really able to do it well. For example, Easton loves to wash dishes even though he doesn't always get them as clean as I would like. By letting them do work when they want to, I think it has prepared my children for the time when they really can be helpful. I know it takes more time to work with them, as I could do it a lot faster if I could just do it by myself, and it's not fun to rewash those dishes after they go to bed, but it pays off in the end.

Another tip I passed on to her was (whenever possible--dishes don't count in my opinion) don't redo the work they just did, as that is very discouraging to them. I received this tip when Briana and Destry were little, and I think it was excellent advice. So, if you see dirt littering the floor or my towels aren't perfectly folded, know that my preschoolers are learning how to contribute to the household and they will get better at it.

I heard some time ago a saying about teaching your children to work. It went something like this:
"First teach your children how to work by working alongside them. Then ask them to do the work and they will be able to get it done. Finally, they will see what needs done and simply do it."
There have been times I wondered if we would ever get to that third stage of responsibility, diligence, and initiative, but I am happy now to encourage you that persevering through the first two levels will indeed reap the promised fruit.

What tips would you share to involve children in household chores and teach them diligence?
Great post! We're entering that second stage with Levi. It's so hard for me to just stand back and watch him do things. He loves the independence of it, but it makes me a little crazy not to have things done my way.
ReplyDeleteWe've never called things chores or work. At this stage Levi thinks getting to sweep or help with the dishes is a privilege or a game. I know this won't last, but I plan to let him think that as long as possible.