Friday, November 19, 2010

Fight or Flight?

How do you usually react to challenge or conflict? I am reminded of the basic instincts of fight or flight.

I was talking to my aunt the other day and she regaled us with stories about working in a haunted house to raise money for a 4H troop. She loves Halloween and scaring people, but she said it's interesting to see different people's reactions. She has been punched several times because some people have a strong fight reflex. I can't imagine ever punching someone who scared me while dressed up as a skeleton. I would scream. And laugh. Hysterically if I was really, really scared. I might pee my pants. But I just don't think I would punch them.

My instinct is stronger on the flight side. When facing irresolvable conflict, I prefer to just head on out of there. I've done it many times in my life. Sometimes it's a literal, physical exit. Sometimes it's a blessing to live a few hours away from a situation. Sometimes denial is a handy form of flight. But I don't know that it's necessarily the easy option--sometimes flight is really hard. Oh yeah, conflict is just hard regardless of how you handle it.

How about you? Fight or flight?

6 comments:

  1. I have more fight than flight - which I'm learning to switch around a bit in an effort to "live at peace with all men so much as it is possible" but it is hard sometimes. Conflict doesn't scare me but I at least try to remember when it scares the person I'm dealing with. If I can "read" that or figure that out about them, it's helpful.

    Btw, where did you nap this "Abortion/Adoption" button? May I "steal" it and put it on RtK as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flight--often to a fault. Sometimes I can successfully fight (!) that instinct and stand up when I need to, but that's definitely not my first response

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, got the button from http://itsalmostnaptime.blogspot.com/
    But yes, please, use it. I absolutely love it!!!

    I'm hoping people will respond with their instinct. I'm willing to fight if there seems to be hope for resolution of the conflict, but when I "see the writing on the wall" . . .well, I'm too much of a control freak to hang around!! chuckle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flight. 110% flight! lol The mere idea of confrontation makes me ill. To the point where I am very often too agreeable because I do not want to cause a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual I'm going back through trying to catch up on reading posts. :)

    Interesting question. I guess for me it depends. I don't like conflict and don't seek it, but at times it looks better than other alternatives. The challenge is in choosing battles wisely, along with how to fight them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber--aw yes, you hit the nail on the head--especially the HOW to fight them! Excellent point, thanks for commenting! (Oh, and love it that you're playing catch up--fun to hear from you!)

    Jenna--hmmm, must be a family trait! :) But I fear I'm not overly agreeable. . .

    Karen--yes, I think I can see that--you seem to be a peace-lover. Have you ever read the 'Peacemaker' books by Sande? I think they have some good points on standing up for what is right in a way that makes peace (as Amber alluded to)--I think I need to review that book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!