Thursday, January 26, 2012

When NOT to Adopt

Don't adopt if. . .
  • your marriage is unsound.
  • you need a lot of time to yourself.
  • you need gratitude from a child.
  • you need love and affection immediately from a child.
  • you cannot allow your child to have memories of, and affection for others in his past.
  • you are not willing to reach out to others (adoptive parents, therapists, etc.).
  • you don't have a strong sense of humor.
  • you must have total respect and compliance from your children.
  • you are not comfortable with expressions of anger from your children, even if it is directed at you.
  • nothing in your house can be messed up, moved or broken.
  • you feel the need to possess a child.
  • you cannot accept failure in yourself.
compiled by Joellen Vansword and printed in the Alabama Friends of Adoption newsletter

I've been thinking a lot lately about reasons people sometimes adopt and just thought I would share (and put in one place so I don't lose it) the above list and a link to an wonderful article by Russell Moore.

4 comments:

  1. I think these things also apply to having a baby. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they apply to foster parenting too!

      Delete
    2. OOoooh so many things to say. And process.

      In short: I agree.

      Delete
    3. Yes, many of them (though not all, of course) apply to all sorts of situations, I agree. I was just reposting as it resonated with a couple situations I know of personally. Makes me sad. . .

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!