Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Pilgrim's Progress

We start 'em young here!  I think we have four editions of The Pilgrim's Progress in progressive degrees of difficulty.  Even my littlest ones like to read this picture book version with its eye-catching cartoon illustrations.
That burden on his back is so obvious in these pictures that they can imagine why he would want his sin removed.
And the depictions of trials and dangers and battles with evil grab their imaginations and I hope will stick in their minds throughout their adult lives as they live out their own stories.
For the fact that we each are living our own story is one of the reasons I chose The Pilgrim's Progress when Carrie asked me to select a book for her book club.  I think it's easy to lose sight of that fact when we get caught up in the day-to-day tedium of our lives.  We aren't able to comprehend the big picture of our lives as we are too close--our emotions, distractions, and myopic vision mislead us.  We are part of a great story--the ultimate story--that of good vs. evil.  If we could only keep that perspective each day of our lives, I think our lives would look very different.  We would perceive the fiery darts of the devil for what they are instead of obliviously focusing on this earthly life.  I'm counting on this allegorical story to remind me to focus on the big picture so I can live a more God-glorifying life each day.

I enjoy the allegorical aspect of The Pilgrim's Progress as the parallels to life are so clear, even as the story itself is enjoyable.  I haven't read the original, unabridged version for about twenty years, so I'm looking forward to visiting it with my big kids--it's time for them to graduate from the picture book, the version with mice as the main characters (this book is still packed and I can't remember the name of it!) and Little Pilgrim's Progress to the real thing!  I think it will also be good for them to realize where author John Bunyon's focus was when he was imprisoned for sharing the good news.  So often we are tempted to wallow in our self-pity and fear and SELF rather than immersing ourselves in the Lord and His Word when life gets difficult.  I am humbled and inspired by the lasting works produced by people like John Bunyon and Dietrich Bonhoeffer while they were persecuted for their faith.
Reading to Know - Book Club
You're invited to travel along with us and Christian through the month of February as we read The Pilgrim's Progress and journal your thoughts on your blog (post a link with Carrie!) or discuss them in the comment section. 

''There's no Discouragement,
Shall make him once relent,
His first avow'd intent,
To be a Pilgrim.''

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you chose this one! I haven't read it since high school. Definitely time for a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little ashamed to say I've never read The Pilgrim's Progress. Looks like I'll have to remedy that soon, and look into the books for my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you read Christiana's Journey also or just Christian's? Wondered how they compared, as I've only read Christian's so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read Christian's, but am hoping to get through Christiana's this month. Are you gonna read along?? :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!