For our April selection of Carrie's book club, one of Carrie's friends suggested we read a book by P.G. Wodehouse and I chose to read Uncle Dynamite. This was my first exposure to Wodehouse (which I had always heard pronounced just as it looks but recently learned its correct pronunciation is WOODhouse) although I had frequently been asked if I had read any of his books when talking about books with fellow readers. He had been described to me as an author of "British wit" and that description certainly fits.
I found this book ridiculous to the extreme and impossible to take seriously. In a nutshell, the plot involves the character (I use that word in more ways than one) Lord Ickenham who creates all sorts of bedlam in his endeavors to steer everyone in his acquaintance to life decisions of the happily-ever-after variety.
'Uncle Fred,' he said, speaking in a low, metallic voice. 'I don't know if you know it, but you're Public Scourge Number One. You scatter ruin and desolation on every side like a ruddy sower going forth sowing. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness aren't possible when you're around. You're like the Black Death or one of those pestilences of the Middle Ages, taking their toll of thousands.'Wodehouse is a gifted writer and it took me much longer than I expected to read this pointless (yet fun) story because I couldn't help but savor his phrasings. His wit jolted more than one giggle out of me which led to my family's request to "read it to us, Mom".
His vehemence seemed to occasion Lord Ickenham a mild surprise.
'But, my dear boy, what have I done?' (185)
There are extraordinarily few good answers to the ejaculation 'You!' especially when preceded by the monosyllable 'Ugh!' Pongo could not think of any of them. The other's entry had caused him to repeat that sitting high jump of his, and on descending from the neighborhood of the ceiling he had found his mind a blank. The best he could achieve was a nervous giggle (189).Lest you think this book was 'fluff' or 'twaddle', I will point out some of the words Wodehouse introduced me to. I could deduce most of their meanings by context, and some of them I had heard before, but didn't know the exact definition. These words are certainly not a part of my daily vocabulary!
- somnolent (7)--Sleepy; drowsy.
- impecunious (24)--Having little or no money.
- comported (40)--Behavior; bearing
- abstemiousness (40)--sparing or moderate in eating and drinking
- deleterious (43)--Causing harm or damage
- fatuous (49) --Silly and pointless
- nadir (82)--the lowest point
- somnambulist (103) --a person who engages in
sleepwalking
- contradistinction (139)--Distinction made by contrasting the different qualities of two things
- escutcheon (179)--A shield or shield-shaped emblem bearing a coat of arms (used in this context, I assume, as the family name or reputation)
- stertorously (184)--Noisy and labored breathing
- distrait (208)--Inattentive or preoccupied, especially because of anxiety
- captious (208)--Tending to find fault or raise petty objections


As a fellow word lover, I have to ask: Have you heard about the website freerice.com? It's basically a giant vocab quiz (stop groaning, it really is fun), which increases in difficulty as you answer more questions correctly. Which each correct answer, the site also donates ten grains of rice. I don't play it very often, because I find it addicting. Oh, and great post!
ReplyDeleteOh Kristy, shame, shame, shame on you! As if I don't spend too much time on the computer already. I used to think I had a pretty extensive vocabulary--now I am just increasingly aware of how very limited my vocabulary is. I am pretty sure none of the above cited words were on the ACT or SAT. :)
DeleteI love that you brought up "savoring" his phrasing. It's so true! I delight in the way he writes.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be so fun to be able to write like that! I once read that Hemingway spent hours polishing a sentence or searching for just the right word, even rewriting the conclusion to A Farewell to Arms seventeen times in an effort to get it right. It takes more time, effort, and raw talent than I have to invest, I guess. :)
DeleteI absolutely love the word "fatuous." I use it far too often.
ReplyDeleteI laughed reading through your whole review, and now I want to read this one too!
I've decided to make a conscious effort to add the words distrait and captious to my vocabulary because they are just such fun words.
DeleteI wasn't familiar with fatuous (our word around here is facetious) but may have to adopt it as well! :) Aren't words fun?!
I enjoyed his phrasing, too. Not as many stood out to me in Psmith in the City, but there were a couple in Carry On Jeeves that expressed a though in such a clear way but a way that I never would have thought to say it.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that you draw out his impressive vocabulary! That is so awesome!
ReplyDeleteI'm also delighted that you read along this month and got to meet this brilliant author. =) As you say, his stories are rather about nothing but then again, they are about everything. He just makes ridiculous human emotions and picks fun at personal traits to the point were we are able to see the ridiculous for what it is. (That's actually the way I tend to express humor in public settings. I find personal traits infinitely amusing and I have to work at biting my tongue sometimes. This has gotten me into trouble on more than one occasion!)
Anyway, glad you read along!
I'm glad I read it, too, Carrie. Thanks for hosting the book club! :)
Delete