Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Things I Don't Like About Blogging

I have a love/hate relationship with my blog.  Sometimes I really love blogging and interacting with my readers.  It's a great way to record memories for my family; it's an outlet for my thoughts; and it helps me process what I'm reading and thus thinking about.

Other times I find it frustrating.  It seems that when I don't have time to blog, I have many ideas and I compose posts in my head (really great posts) that never actually make it to my blog.  When I do have time, I can't think of anything to write about.  And the little time I have results in posts without editing.  Thus I think blogging has damaged my writing skills.  I don't take time to edit, but rather just BLUNK it out there (yes, that's a technological writing term, it's an onomatopoeia you know).

Sometimes I feel frustrated because I wonder who is reading (is anyone?)?  Why are they reading?  Why won't they talk to me?  I know a lot of bloggers are introverts but I'm not.  I like the "two-way traffic" version of communication.  It turns out blogging isn't really such a great way to build relationships or interact with people.  Sometimes I feel like I'm pouring myself out and not getting much back in return.

Then too, I feel occasionally feel guilty about the time I spend blogging.  Admittedly, I type really fast.  And my brain is always running like crazy so I usually have a post mostly composed in my head before I sit down to quickly type it out.  And I don't take the time to edit (which you've likely observed).  And I blog while the little ones are napping or late at night.  Still, that is time I could be doing something else more productive.  (But I will point out that once I write a post it stays written, unlike cooking, dishes, laundry, sweeping, etc., etc.  This was always one of the things I loved about scrapbooking back in the day--it was something I invested time in that I could look back and see instead of it just needing done all over again).

And the conclusion of the whole matter?  Yet to be determined.

13 comments:

  1. I, for one, read your blog regularly but seldom comment. One great thing about blogging is how much it helps me reflect on and notice my life (even if all those observations don't make it to the computer). And I, too, sometimes wonder if anyone is reading what I write. For me, at the end of the day, it's a family history (which I plan to print at the end of the year) and a way to unwind. I try not to fixate too much on the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, HI, Kris! I agree, it's nice to think about my life and not just let it pass me by without appreciating what is going on. And I don't care about the numbers either--just the relationships. :)

      Delete
    2. I'll start commenting more, and maybe our relationship will grow too:)

      Delete
  2. You better determine to keep blogging even if it is just for me! :)


    And to everyone else....Shonya does not make you fill out one of those letter/number things. Commenting is easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Laura! I know, one big reason I would hate to stop is I have developed friendships with four or five people with whom our only medium of interaction is through blogging--I would hate to give them up!

      Delete
  3. I hear you. My mom has pointed out to me that writers very often have to deal with silence after they've put something out into the world ("How many books/articles/poems have you read, and how many times have you responded to the author, even if that author was alive and what they wrote moved or affected you greatly?") And she's got me. I struggle with the silence, too, especially when I have written something very close to my heart, but I also struggle with leaving comments, even when I'm extremely taken with what somebody has written. It all takes a lot of energy (and I am an introvert.)

    Anyway, I deal with a lot of uncertainty when it comes to blogging/writing, too. But then I keep feeling led to write, and to reach out, even with it is frustrating. It seems important to you, as well. I hope you will feel encouraged enough to keep going with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing from you every once in a while, Karen, and it's great to stay in touch through our blogs. And I agree, sometimes I don't comment because it just seems like too much trouble at the moment. I love to write, I just sometimes wonder if this isn't the proper season for this. . .

      Delete
  4. I know, right?! I've been so busy the past few weeks, and had several posts almost completely composed in my head, but the thing is, you can't type those out while you're in the car, fixing supper, doing yardwork, etc, etc. And if I haven't posted in a while, I seem to get out of the habit, and it just gets worse and worse. I've been stressing so much about blogging lately that I've started to wonder whether or not I should just give it up entirely.

    Oh, but that doesn't mean you can. I simply won't allow it, and I am a faithful reader!
    As for commenting? I am definitely an introvert, but I also know how much something as simple as a comment validates the time bloggers commit to their blogs. So while I do try to comment on the blogs I read, I also hear from a lot of people things like, "Oh, I love your blog!" And yet they never ever comment.

    Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your comments section. I edit well, but am terrible at summarization(<----That word is not spelled wrong, SpellCheck!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love for you to hijack the comments section--how fun! :) Sometimes I have thought a post through so thoroughly that by the time I get a few minutes to sit down and type it, I'm tired of it so it just never gets posted.

      Delete
  5. Well, I like to keep up with you even though I never see you. As to commenting, I think sometimes there's not much to say, and it doesn't seem worth the effort just to write "what an interesting book" or something so content-less. And sometimes it's hard to put real content out there, in a space where there is so much room for interpretation and misunderstanding and no hugs. But I do read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! How fun to know you're still keeping up with my life even as so many miles separate us. I do agree that it's hard to put real thoughts out there without hearing tone and seeing facial expression and such. But I like to think this is a pretty safe place and it's always good for me to have stimulating and challenging conversation even if you disagree with something I've said. Great to hear from you, "busy mom of littles". :)

      Delete
  6. Okay, so we need to chat over this post at length. We should hold one of those blogging conferences, with all our extra time. Yeah, right, lol.
    I hope you know I'm usually here reading even though I comment in bursts and not on every post. I'm slow. I love reading what's going on in a real-life friend's life, and especially one I respect and who makes thought-provoking posts as well. I am often torn between reading, commenting, and making my own posts with my limited time in this cyberworld, if I'm doing anything blog-related at all. There just isn't time for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, MY vote (if you're taking them) is that you don't do anything drastic and say you WON"T blog but feel free to take breaks when necessary. If you don't blog, I won't learn words like BLUNK.

    ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!