Wednesday, December 12, 2012

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

When I was just a few chapters into Jen Hatmaker's book 7:  An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess I suspected it was going to be life changing.
7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

Her book is frequently funny, easy to read, and challenging all at the same time.  She identified 7 areas of blatant excess–food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, spending, stress–and she set about intentionally fasting from these things, devoting one month to each.  7 shares her journey (successes, failures, and growth) through this experiment.
 "Seven months, seven areas, reduced to seven simple choices.  I'm embarking on a journey of less.  It's time to purge the junk and pare down to what is necessary, what is noble.  7 will be an exercise in simplicity with one goal:  to create space for God's kingdom to break through.

I approach this project in the spirit of a fast; an intentional reduction, a deliberate abstinence to summon God's movement in my life.  A fast creates margin for God to move" (4).
Sometimes I can compare my standard of living to that of other Americans and feel comfortable that I am not living in excess.  Jen owned more than 300 articles of clothing, for example, compared to the slim pickings in my closet (and even slimmer selection of shoes).  But that's just easy--I don't really care about clothes and shoes.  In other areas, we don't spend as much as many people, we don't have a bunch of media gadgets, and we have long practiced the growing and raising of our own food.

Perhaps you tend to think of yourself the same way.  Perhaps you aren't in a crazy race to keep up with the Joneses so you think you're okay.  But I think if we're honest with ourselves we will realize we indulge in way more than we really NEED.  (Guiltily glancing around at my bookshelves loaded with books as I type)  We'll realize we are far more blessed than most people in the world and we selfishly feel a sense of entitlement to our standard of living.  I echo Jen's prayer:
"Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your kingdom" (16).
I was intrigued with Jen's discussion of Mark chapter 10, especially the contrast between James and John verses Bartimaeus: 
"Bartimaeus only asked for mercy.
This is like the starving asking for food, the orphan asking for parents, the homeless asking for shelter, the sick asking for medicine; basic human needs--food, shelter, care, love. . .The poor world is begging for mercy like Bartimaus, while the rich world is asking for more favor like James and John"(89)
 I agree with her that it's hard to know who has it more challenging in our world today.  Some are physically starving and struggling, others are so physically stuffed they neglect the Lord and struggle with spiritual starvation.  Too often I see us blessed Americans so distracted by the cares and stuff and busyness of our lives that we squeeze out a perfunctory attendance to a church service and grow complacent with our spiritual walk.
"I wept for all my children tonight, my Ethiopian children orphaned by disease or hunger or poverty who will go to bed with no mother tonight (they were in the process of adopting at the time of this writing and her two Ethiopian children were still not home) and my biological children who will battle American complacency and overindulgence for the rest of their lives.  I don't know who I feel worse for" (22).
Overall, I am glad I read this book.   I got more out of the first few sections than the last half and I'm not sure if it's because a) they were most relevant and convicting to me, b) the book was a little too long and belabored the excellent message until I became immune to it, or c) I read the last half in one sitting so the last points didn't get the time and pondering I gave to the beginning.  I recommend you read it and also predict that it will change you in some way.
"My hands are opening.  I know my next phase of life is not going to look the same.
I'm scared" (86).
Jen's conclusions toward the end of the book:
"After curbing my appetites for so long, 
I've discovered my appetites have changed" (217).

"Love God most.  Love your neighbor as yourself.  This is everything.
If we say we love God, then we will care about the poor.
This earth is God's and everything in it.  We should love like we believe this.
What we treasure reveals what we love.
Money and stuff have the power to ruin us.
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God.  This is what is required" (218).

"Perhaps this is why Scripture calls us to the practice of fasting--from food, from greed, from selfishness, from luxuries.  It isn't just the experience; it's the discipline.  It changes us.  Fasting helps us develop mastery over the competing voices in our heads that urge us toward more, toward indulgence, toward emotional volatility.  Like consistent discipline eventually shapes our children's behavior, so it is with us.  Believe it or not, God can still change us.  Not just our habits but our hearts.  Say 'no' for a year and see for yourself" (219).
 Post number two prompted by the reading of this book

4 comments:

  1. I really loved this book, and I deliberately read just a bit at a time, hoping it would sink in more. Did you read Interrupted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deliberately read it slowly at first as well, but then I didn't feel like reading the other books I was reading so I powered through the last half a little too fast. :)

      No,haven't read Interrupted. . .should I?

      Delete
  2. If you liked this one, you'd probably like that one too. It's the account of how they came to start the Austin New Church, and transformed their lives into doers and not just hearers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this one! Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!