It doesn't matter how much you research a topic or ask other people questions, there are just some things you don't know until you experience it. Sharla asked an interesting question on her Adoption Magazine blog: “What has surprised you about the adoption experience?”
I've been surprised in many ways, but the most striking is in the way I think. The adoption experience has opened my eyes and my heart in ways I never could have expected. As I wrote previously, I can't look at our material indulgences in this country anymore without thinking of children who need a mom and dad. Children who need a loving home, food, clothing, and maybe even a few toys.
I think Emma phrased it best with her "Orphan Addict" bracelets for those "addicted to adoption or the orphan".
I didn't expect to become "addicted" to adoption or to have my heart bleed for children who need a family. I didn't expect to be blessed with a large home and then feel guilty that there are children who need a family--a home--and here I am with plenty of room and plenty of love.
I didn't expect to hear stories of orphaned children and wonder. . .might I be their mother too? I can't imagine my life without being the mother to my treasures through adoption, Easton, Kiana, and Tyrell. What joy I would have missed had we not opened the door to say yes to any one of them!

It's so true that once your eyes have been opened to the need, it is impossible to shut them again. I found and still find that very hard.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your thoughts and for linking up to the Adoption Blog Hop!
As I've read more and more about orphans, sickness, and poverty worldwide, I've become increasingly sickened by our country's culture of excess. I find that I have to hold myself back lest I get a little too "preachy," especially since I live in a community where people have lots and lots of 'extras,' and I just can't help but wonder what they're doing to help someone other than themselves. It helps to remind myself that everyone sins differently; while I'm good about being frugal in order to give financially, I CERTAINLY have plenty of other issues God's working with me on.
ReplyDeleteSo true, Kristy--both our culture of excess and our need to examine our own lives for all the different issues the Lord is working on in us.
Delete