I've always wondered why they schedule conferences at this time. Don't they know I am sick to death of homeschooling? Don't they know we're just forcing ourselves to continue on, get these last two chemistry modules finished, this last chapter of Geometry completed, this last literature book read and discussed, one more essay written, revised, and called good enough?
Yet here I am, planning next year, reading curriculum reviews, and doing some comparison price shopping.
As I look over our past and future studies, I realize that as a graduate of a liberal arts university I have followed that model in my children's education. And now that my firstborn will soon be a senior, I wonder if that was the best choice.
A liberal arts education is all over the place. On the one hand, it seems a good idea to expose my children to lots of different things. I think knowing a little about a variety of topics makes people more interesting to talk with as one can find something in common with most people. I think it teaches people to think and evaluate new ideas and equips them to be life-long learners ready to grow with whatever the future brings.
On the other hand, a liberal arts education might produce a "jack of all trades, master of none." It makes it much more challenging to help children discern their talents and future when they are capable in multiple disciplines but not especially proficient or passionate about a specific one.
I am challenged by a quote from the wise CS Lewis:
“…the greatest service we can do to education today is to teach fewer subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects, we destroy his standards, perhaps for life.”
Then again, might it not be art and music and literature that provide a purpose and enjoyment of other learning endeavors? As the music teacher in Mr. Holland's Opus summarized "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want. Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about."Right or wrong, we have thoroughly enjoyed learning to appreciate music and discussing great literature. I think I'm still going to go ahead with that art appreciation curriculum for next year.
Well, I see both sides of your debate. So... good luck figuring that one out.
ReplyDeleteI always think your kids seem impressive. It's so easy to second-guess ourselves, though, especially with something as important as school.
Ha! Thanks for that "good luck" wish! :) Seriously, thanks for the encouragement regarding the kids. And I agree, it's easy to second-guess, but we can't move backward, only forward. So, here we go!
Delete