Carrie's book club this month was assigned the children's classic, Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I've read many "survival" books of a similar theme, so I'm not sure if this book seemed familiar because of the genre or because I had read it previously as a child myself, but I enjoyed revisiting it.
I personally think it's wonderful for children to read books about survival because they highlight and reward great character traits like perseverance, hard work, resourcefulness, and independence. I honestly don't think I could survive alone for years and years (EIGHTEEN YEARS! She lived there alone for eighteen years!). I don't know that I would have the will to survive, and I'm pretty sure I don't have the survival skills needed to provide food, shelter, and weapons for myself, so I especially admire people who can survive such situations. I think Alan would be more than capable of survival. . .so if I'm ever stranded on an island or some other wilderness, I insist that he come with me.
Overall, I think I enjoyed another children's survival classic Call It Courage more, but what is most fascinating to me about this story of a young woman surviving alone for several years on a Pacific Island is that it's based on a true story. They even think they might have found her cave!
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/29/local/la-me-lone-woman-cave-20121027
Since both Briana and Destry had previously read this book, we really had fun learning about the original woman (who was older than the girl depicted in the book) and the archeological discoveries they have made regarding her tribe.

Thank you for that article link! Adelaide recently read this one and loved it; can't wait to research this with her!
ReplyDelete