Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gifted Hands

I read the inspiring story Gifted Hands by Ben Carson last month, then Briana read it, and this week Destry read it.  We are all enjoying "free reading" in our relaxed afternoons.

This book was printed in 1990 and has been on my "want to read" list for at least five years at the recommendation of a dear friend and mentor.  I don't know why it took me so long to get to it.  If you haven't read it, you'll want to put it at the top of your list now.
I wonder if we might not be hearing more about Ben Carson as he is becoming a more nationally known figure (especially after that prayer breakfast earlier this year).  I would love to say I think he has a chance at the presidency, but I just don't believe he does.  Our country is choosing leaders who reflect its prevailing morals, work ethic, and intellect and Ben Carson stands too far above the average American in each of those three areas to get enough support and votes to even get on the ballot.

Back to the book, Gifted Hands tells Ben Carson's story (I understand there is a movie based on the book which I have not seen).  In spite of  hardships and what many would call an "underprivileged homelife", Carson learned the value of faith (Seventh Day Adventist), education, and hard work and has accomplished a successful career as a well-respected neurosurgeon at John Hopkins.

As too many children experience, Ben was left without a father at a young age, but I was encouraged by his love and admiration for his mother.  She inspired her boys to work hard and study hard and was one of those mean moms who limited television and required the reading of books (and even book reports when she herself couldn't read them!).  I will insert here that I am especially glad to read a story about a man whose mother had such a positive influence on his life since all the books about raising boys talk about how important dads are.  I, too, limit television and require, er, encourage the reading of books! grin

I was fascinated by this book overall.  Carson seems to be very wise in many different areas.  He is honest about his own temptations, including struggling with seeking others' approval, materialism, pride, and his temper, but overall stresses honesty and integrity.  I appreciate his common sense approach to education, race relations, healthcare, and other topics that people seem to blow out of proportion.  His personal story is inspiring, his experiences in major cases (like surgically separating Siamese twins) are simply fascinating to read, and his willingness to serve younger generations by sharing his story make me admire him.

After finishing Gifted Hands, I promptly purchased America the Beautiful:  Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great, also by Carson, but my husband has commandeered it so I don't know when I'll get to read it. . .

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shonya :-) I have had this book on my shelf for years...maybe I will pack it along on our next trip. Thanks for the encouragement to read...I must say I am amazed at how much you read...and then write about!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're reading it now! :) I think it was great for my teens to read, too--quite inspiring!

      Delete
  2. Yet another book to add to the "To Read" list. You're a menace, Shonya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I reserved this from our library and picked it up and read it. It has a different cover than the one you posted and was a kids' book....19 chapters, 142 pages. Paperback. Apparently, there are two versions of it, but I'll have to look elsewhere for the version you posted! Regardless, still a very good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this a few years back when (I guess!) it was re-released. I have recollections of liking it with the exception of him thinking that he was a very, very important person which rubbed me wrong in spots. GENERALLY speaking I liked it, with an exception.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!