It makes my life considerably easier when I have meals prepared ahead in the freezer. They are nice to heat up on a busy day, or to use when I missed a trip to the grocery store and the pantry is looking a little bare, or to share with someone who has suffered illness or had a baby. I usually try to have at least two meals frozen for unexpected events, but it's even better when I've purposefully filled the freezer with several meals. Recently some younger friends were asking me for tips about how to get together once a month and spend a day cooking. I was pretty happy when they invited me to spend the day cooking with them--it was just the motivation I needed.
We decided to use the method in which we each take a turn choosing the meals and doing all the grocery shopping for one month. Jenna got this job for the first month which means for the next three months, all she has to do is show up to mix together two of the recipes.
We chose to make eight different meals (which allows us to eat two freezer meals per week) and multiply that times the four families so we made 32 meals in about 3-4 hours. Here are the eight meals Jenna chose for this month. She also suggested we rate them as we eat them so we can decide if we want to make them again in the future. Her scale is 1 (never want this again) through 5 (I would eat it again tomorrow). We haven't tried all of them yet, but I'll try to update this post with the ratings over the next couple of weeks.
- Lasagna in a pot My family wanted to give this a 6, but we'll settle for a 5. Jenna didn't like the texture, so rated it a 3. The others haven't tried it yet.
- Ravioli 4
- Teriyaki Chicken 3.5 (My family rated it a 3, but we also just aren't fans of teriyaki in general)
- Crock Pot Fajitas3 (we prefer them fried, lol)
- Million Dollar Casserole 5
- Easy Cheeseburger Casserole 3.5
- Sloppy Joes 3 (a little sweet for us)
- Chicken Tacos 4.5
We had fun chatting and chopping and I'm looking forward to another day spent cooking with them. It's Jamie's turn to choose the menu and do the shopping next month!




I keep telling myself to be more diligent about this and know I'd be grateful when the baby comes to have meals in the freezer. Sadly, that's as far as I've gotten! Ha. The links for Million Dollar Casserole and Easy Cheeseburger Casserole aren't working. Can you send them my way if you get time? Thanks! ;)
ReplyDeleteSorry about that, Jenn. I think I got them fixed now--I was trying to do a lazy shortcut and it didn't work. ;)
DeleteYou know, a way that I have found helps me get some food in my freezer is to just make a double batch of whatever I'm making for supper. Baked spaghetti? Double and put half in the freezer. Pizza burger mix? Make what I need for tonight and freeze the rest. You can even do that with crockpot meals, putting half of it in the crockpot and the other half in a freezer bag to thaw and dump in your crockpot a different day. It's less time-intensive than taking half a day to make a bunch of food, but it still works.
We took Teriyaki Chicken to Pot Luck today and it was a huge hit, but I just hate Teriyaki/Soy Sauce... I gave it a 2, but the general consensus was a 4.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I feel incredibly special that I made it on the blog... hehe!!
ReplyDeleteWell, you ARE special!! :)
DeleteI go to a freezer meals group sporadically... I just haven't loved the meals we've made, and feel like I'm wasting time and money. Now I'm wondering if I've just been trying the wrong recipes. Hmm.
ReplyDelete