Redemption by Karen KingsburyI was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book which a woman from church brought and told me I should read. The characterization was good enough that I feel like I know the adult Baxter siblings and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series to see what happens in their lives.
This particular installment focused mostly on Kari who discovers her husband's infidelity. The way they deal with it was refreshing to me, even as it was painful. I have to admit I guessed how it would end, but that's just me--always trying to figure out how the plot will go. I still enjoyed the journey getting there. :)
Two quotes stood out to me:
"God will always honor your choice. If ever you decide not to put God first, God will always honor your choice" (135).I thought this was a really good point. We are the ones who make the choice about following God or following self and God will allow the consequences that come from following self.
"When they were kids it all seemed so easy. They went to church and believed, and in return God took care of them and made sure everything worked out the way it was supposed to" (213).Hmmmm, trying to process that one. It seems an immature understanding, for sure. The character who had this thought is struggling with her faith, and I would guess her understanding is part of the reason. The Bible FOR SURE never promises that our lives will be easy because we follow the Lord. I think there are too many people who have this sort of expectation and then struggle when life happens to them. I think that's one of the reasons I am so enjoying this series (for I moved immediately into the second book before writing this review)--real life is happening to the Baxter family and that makes them relatable.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!