Big Little Lies by Liane MoriartyI thoroughly enjoyed this delightful story about motherhood, friendship, and imperfections. In fact, I rather wish I hadn't read it yet so I could read it on my upcoming plane ride to New York (eeeek! Sorry, that squeal just bubbles out of me when I think about it!).
I want to be friends with this circle of women. They have their unique quirks, insecurities, and individual histories and trials and I love each one of them in spite of--or because of--them. I like that this book is real, that no one has a sugar coated easy life, but rather they are all dealing with life in all its messy glory. At the same time, the book is hilarious. I laughed aloud several times. Usually it was at Madeline.
For example, I am absolutely stealing her signature exclamation: "oh calamity!" Consider yourself forewarned. I also cracked up at her description of this midlife version of PMS. "Now, for one day every month, she had to fake everything: her basic humanity, her love for her children, her love for Ed" (103). (She had to fake her basic humanity--some days, my friends, some days!)
Even while the book was entertaining, it made a few more serious points that I enjoyed pondering. As Madeline turns 40, she ponders: "She didn't want to admit, even to herself, just how much the aging of her face really did genuinely depress her. She wanted to be above such superficial concerns. She wanted to be depressed about the state of the world, not the crumpling and creasing of her skin. Meanwhile, Ed got sexier each year that went by as the lines around his eyes deepened and his hair grayed" (82). (And I insert, yes! Tell me what's up with that?! How is my husband getting better and better with age, while I. . .uh. . .)
Yet while one woman is bemoaning her fading appearance, another bears the burden of extreme physical beauty which "had nothing to do with her, it was just random luck, it wasn't a decision she'd made" (165).
I also loved Mrs. Ponder's observations: "Mothers took their mothering so seriously now. Their frantic little faces. Their busy little bottoms strutting into the school, ponytails swinging. Eyes fixed on the mobile phones held in the palms of their hands like compasses" (2).
There was some language in this book, and some thematic elements that might bother the more sensitive reader. But I enjoyed the writing, I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the story. This would make for a fun book club discussion.
You make me want to read it what with your squeals and "Oh Calamity!" included. :D ha!
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed your reading time. :)
We read her other book, The Husband's Secret (or something like that!) for book club recently. This book is already on my to read list! I will save it for a good time then, knowing I won't be disappointed! Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteJust finished The Husband's Secret! I'm going to have to read What Alice Forgot too! :)
DeleteDefinitely going on the To Read list- great review!
ReplyDelete