Our downstairs bathroom was kind of nasty as it was carpeted and the shower leaked which left the carpet constantly wet (I wish I had thought to take a "before" picture, but I didn't). Getting tile on the floor has been on my list of goals since we moved into this house two years ago.
Alan hired/contracted Destry to do the job, so Destry was in charge of figuring out what would be needed, choosing the tile, and doing all the work. Alan gave him a budget and watched youtube videos about how to lay tile, and then it was all on Destry.
Laying the tile was like putting together a puzzle, and Destry had to cut the tile to fit. This wasn't always easy, especially around the toilet and in the shower, but it was "character building" (and we'll leave it at that!) After it was all laid out, it was time to adhere it with mortor.
After sufficient time had passed, he had to grout in the cracks. (I don't know what was up with the lighting, but the tile is more of the color pictured below in the finished pictures and not so brown as depicted above. I had to include Destry's silly poses even if it doesn't represent the true color).
I was especially impressed with the ledge Destry built for the shower to prevent future leakage from the door. He used concrete blocks to form the ledge and then tiled it. It looks really nice now, and there is no water on the floor.After he finished grouting between the cracks, he washed the floor and installed the transition strip between the tiled bathroom and carpeted laundry room.
I am very thankful for this much nicer bathroom (and look forward to friends coming to stay over and use it!) Most of all, I am thankful for all the things Destry learned in completing this project. He learned to research a project, budget supplies, purchase needed items, cut tile, and lay tile. He also learned diligence in completing a task and perseverance when it's not easy. How rewarding for him to see the fruit of his labor!








NICE WORK!!!! It looks absolutely gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteI'm super proud of him! :)
DeleteNICE WORK!!!! It looks absolutely gorgeous!!
ReplyDelete