Created and Called: A Journey to and Through Nursing by Chelsia HarrisI read this book because we got it for Briana upon her completion of her advanced certified nurse's aide training and I can't resist reading a book! She is thoroughly enjoying it, and I can understand why. The author focuses on how she lives out her faith in Jesus Christ through serving others through nursing. She shares various fields of nursing, different levels of education in nursing, and other practical matters, but the bulk of the book focuses on the character traits needed to be a good nurse: compassion, humility, integrity, organization, patience, perseverance. I can see that it would be a very good book to read for anyone considering the field of nursing and it would also be encouraging for an active nurse.
A few quotes:
"A nurse is a helper, a servant, a leader, an advocate, an educator, a comforter, an encourager, a prayer warrior, and a team player" (15).
"I thought to myself, 'This is someone's daughter. Someone's mother. Someone's sister. Someone's wife. She was created by God in His image'" (35).
"The patients entrusted to our care are in some of the most fragile and vulnerable states that they will ever experience. They allow us intimate views of their hearts if we will simply create a sacred place for them to do so. It is our obligation to provide patients with professional, ethically sound care. It is our honor and privilege, and should be our desire, to regard them as highly valuable and to tenderly and compassionately love them through it all" (39).
Gift for a friend...thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOrdered and on its way to a friend. Thanks, again!
ReplyDeleteYay! I think it was a real blessing to Briana as she begins this career.
Delete