- For homeschool encouragement, I would pick Teaching from Rest by Sarah Mackenzie. I loved it so much that I read it, coerced a bunch of friends to read it, and then read it again and hosted not one but TWO evenings in my home to discuss the book. It has revolutionized and breathed new life and enjoyment into our days. I'm also going to have to include Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto as it really made me think and validated my decision to continue this homeschooling journey, even though it's not an easy choice.
- Biography would be A Passion for God: The Spiritual Journey of A.W. Tozer by Dorsett. I also read The Pursuit of God by Tozer himself this year, but actually enjoyed reading about him even more.
- My favorite book for spiritual encouragement would probably be The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller. You are correct, there is no link to a review of this book because I simply couldn't review it. This is another book that I read, gathered a group of friends to read it with me, and then hosted book discussions of the book for a few weeks. This book caused me to look at the parable of "the prodigal son" more closely than I ever had before, and especially to consider how lost the older brother was. It also challenged me to truly examine what sin is--not just a list of moral failings, but the root principles of sin.
- My favorite memoir would be The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates. This book was a fascinating 'case study' of two men with the same name, same age, same race, who grew up in the same area during the same time in very similar circumstances. . .but who had two very different fates. Fascinating. I also have to include Jaiya John's Black Baby, White Hands as a close second favorite memoir. It was not an easy read for me, especially as a White mama to Black children, but it was very thought-provoking and well-written.
- The best historical book I read was Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. It makes one think of Unbroken, although it is not quite that good (Hillenbrand is a master of her craft!). It tells the story of the young men who won the gold medal rowing in the 1936 Olympics and what I enjoyed most was the way the author illustrated the effect their character had on their lives.
- Hands down, the best fiction novel I read this year was Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova. I have enjoyed all of her books so far (her background as a neuroscientist really adds to her stories), but this story of a man affected by Huntington's disease was especially well-done.
- Classics--I have to pick two. I couldn't decide between Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. They were both well-written in different ways, but both provided much to discuss regarding character.
For next year, I have set a Goodreads goal of reading 85 books, and a friend and I are trying to choose books from the guidelines set out by Tim Challies in his 2016 Reading Challenge. It's going to stretch me, but that's a good thing. (We've made a spreadsheet on google docs to record our readings because we are just big dorks like that!)
I'd love to hear your recommendations and favorites from the last year (my want-to-read list needs to continue growing, right?).
HAHA on the spreadsheet. That's so hard core.
ReplyDeleteBoys in the Boat! I keep forgetting that I have that on my (ahem) Kindle. Maybe I'll save it for the Korea travels. Unless it requires too much thought in which case I should probably read it earlier and read something fluffy on the flight.
If you read Teaching From Rest TWICE, I should probably read it once. Okay, okay......
Carrie, Boys in the Boat doesn't really require a lot of thought--it would be fine for travel. (And smiling great big as your travel time gets closer and closer!)
DeleteYES, you must read Teaching From Rest. It will be perfect to prepare you for when Lucy comes home as well.
Hmm, Blogger is being very difficult for me today. It's been a bear for me in trying to format my own reading list for 2016. Just lost the comment I wrote. I will try to reproduce...
ReplyDeleteThat reading list is really something. It's not for me, but I hope you have fun with it.
I enjoyed reading your list of favs. I'd like to read some of those at some point. I hope I like Great Expectations better than Gatsby.
A couple that I really got a lot out of in 2015 that you might also appreciate are The History of Rasselas: Prince of Abissinia by Samuel Johnson and 7 Tools for Cultivating Your Child's Potential by Zan Tyler.
haha, Bethany just noticed that John is showing up in my picture by my comment without me -- and John tells me that he tried to comment earlier and couldn't also.
DeleteThank you for the recommendations! How do those plug into my reading challenge? grin I agree, the challenge is "really something", but you know, it's for me, not me for it. . .or something like that! ;)
DeleteGatsby isn't an enjoyable read, but I do think it is a good illustration of Ecclesiastes and good to discuss with a teen from that perspective. Great Expectations is Dickens, so of course it's going to make my list, but it was also great for discussions of character.
Sorry about google--DO ask John to come back and try again please. Now I'm curious. . .
I'll ask John if he'll be willing to try again. :)
DeleteYes, when I re-read Gatsby I could see that there were some messages in it that made it have at least a point. I don't think I'll require it just on principle since I despised it in high school and still don't value it highly, but I might possibly recommend it for perspective at some point.
You're welcome for the recommendations. Rasselas could fit as a classic novel. 7 Tools might be able to qualify as a book about Christian living, but you'd have to see what you think. If you want to wait until you get to the "Committed" section, Rasselas could be your book under 100 pages and 7 Tools could be the female author book. It's interesting that both our lists contain Lewis, Austen, Shakespeare, Luther, Dickens, and McCullough.
Bethany also mentioned "Love Is a Fallacy" by Max Shulman, which isn't a book but is clever, yet silly.
Ordering "Teaching from Rest" right now! :-)
ReplyDeleteYay! I really think you'll like it, esp in this busy season. (And I really must contact the publisher about a little kickback on this book! ha!)
DeleteOrdering "Teaching from Rest" right now! :-)
ReplyDeleteTook a peek at the 2016 Reading Challenge. Much reading has made you mad! =)
ReplyDeleteHow 'bout these?
~ A Biography: No Man Knows My History (Fawn M. Brodie)
~ A Book By or About a Missionary: Voice of the Golden Oracle (Dwight E. Stevenson)
~ A Book Based on a True Story: True North (Bruce Henderson)
~ A Book Set in a Country That is Not Your Own OR A Book About Suffering: Miracle in the Andes (Nando Parrado) (this is an INCREDIBLE book)
~ A Book by David McCullough: The Wright Brothers
~ A Book About the Second World War: Agent 146 (Erich Gimpel)
~ A Book About Science: Bones of Contention (Marvin Lubenow)
And, of course, as the Southern senator said, "I could go on and on and on...." =) Will you decide on your choices all ahead of time, and/or will we get to see the spreadsheet? =)
John, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful ideas! I had great fun tonight as I finally got some time to sit down and look at your recommendations. I see that some are rather hard to come by--do you happen to own a copy of Voice of the Golden Oracle I could borrow? :)
DeleteAnd yes, it's quite possible that "much reading has made me mad." LOL Every time I look at that silly challenge I ask myself "What was I thinking?!" We *might* share the spreadsheet. . .it's not very full at this point, neither in books completed nor ideas!
Concerning Voice of the Golden Oracle...have copy, will lend. You'll find it to be a quick read. You're welcome to my copy of The Fool of God, also, if you're interested.
DeleteYay! Thanks--and an excuse to see you all! :)
DeleteYou know I love your book posts and in list form...I am in heaven! I set a goal of 60 books this year....not sure if I will read more or less. It will be interesting to see. I have never set a book goal before! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm ahead. . .for now. . . lol
DeleteFor "A Book Based on a True Story," I recommended True North by Bruce Henderson. It's actually not "based" on a true story, but the true story itself. Instead, you could go with The Fool of God by Louis Cochran.
ReplyDelete