Sometimes I think I am raising my children to be at a disadvantage in this world. I have a competitive streak, so I'd really like them to do well, to succeed, indeed--to excel--in many different areas. God is still really working on me, and too often, my old self wants to rear her ugly head and get priorities out of whack.
I look around at the world and see that it's a 'dog-eat-dog' society we live in. Everyone is in a scramble to the top, no holds barred, look out for number one. An increasingly socialistic mindset demands that everyone be equal. All should receive the same pay, for example, regardless of risk, skill, or education. There should be no difference between white collar and blue collar, management and labor force, or new employees and seasoned. People whine about fairness now, and when this generation enters adulthood, it's going to be even worse.
I tend to watch people, and listen to things that are said. When discussions about parenting come up, I get more and more quiet. I hear absurd things like "I want to be my child's friend" (he is TWO) and "I don't want to have to tell him no." I observe that the children who are most likely to hit others are the ones whose parents proudly claim they don't 'hit' their children. I highly doubt I or my siblings ever hit our parents--we knew better! And it wasn't because we were 'hit', it's because we knew a healthy respect for discipline for obedience. Not one of my four children has hit me. They might have tried, and I caught their arm and firmly told them 'no' and they decided it wouldn't be a good idea. Boundaries, structure, and expectation are GOOD things--not bad things. They are selfish just like anyone else, don't get me wrong, but I am not afraid to be the parent and say 'no' or spank them for disobedience. I'm not their friend--I'm their parent.
I took Easton to the dentist yesterday (he bumped his tooth on the merry-go-round and it has a dead nerve) and was embarrassed for our society at the reaction we received. They treated him like he was a bomb about to go off. That seriously is how I would describe it. They wanted to cater to him and cajole him about everything. I finally looked at the hygienist and said "He's a big boy. He knows how to obey," and I told him to get in the chair (which he did). She showed him the tools, the light, how the chair moved, etc. and he followed her instructions, was fascinated, and asked questions. Then she started it again--thinking she needed to bribe him to open his mouth (you have got to be kidding me!). The next step was (in a doubting and halting voice) "I'm going to show him the x-ray and we'll see if he'll let us take a picture of his tooth." Of course he'll 'let' you take a picture of his tooth! That's why we're here!!!
I was getting frustrated until it occurred to me that this is the type of adults our society is producing. People who have to be bribed, cajoled and catered to in order to do any little thing. People who will pitch an absolute screaming fit if they have to do something they don't want to do. People who whine and tattle and complain until they get their way or what someone else has that they want. People who fully believe the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease'.
The dentist and hygienist adored him. They commented that he was well-behaved, inquisitive, and such a bright little boy. Easton climbed into the chair, opened his mouth for the examination, bit down on the cardboard and held still for the x-ray, then cheerfully walked out when time was up. No bombs went off. He thinks you do what you're supposed to do when you're told to do it. He thinks throwing a fit is going to get you something you *don't* want. He thinks you are supposed to obey and submit to the authorities God has placed over you.
Yep, he's in the minority and this life may be a little tough on him.
Amen, Great observation. You're doing a great job with your kids. You go girl!
ReplyDeleteAMEN! AMEN! AMEN!
ReplyDeleteI get "How do you get your kids to mind so well?" ALL the time. I tell them that they know if they don't mommy's eyes turn red and my head spins around...lol.
Minority is good :).
We have GOT to meet sometime when we're on vacation or traveling or something. I think our kids would get along GREAT!!!!
amen shonya! you are so awesome and i agree with you completely! hence why i ask you so many questions all the time. LOL i too believe easton isn't just a good boy by luck. he is a good boy by hard work and God-fearing parents. :)
ReplyDelete(i'm very nervous what our society will look like in another 20 years)
ah, like when I took Natalee to the ENT and he said, "let's see if she'll let me look in her ears." HELLO, we just drove 2 hours to see you...you WILL look in her ears--it's why we're here! she won't bite and she knows how to sit still on my lap and let you do your job, even if she cries. jeesh!
ReplyDeleteI don't think our kids will be at any disadvantage by raising them in the Lord! Instead I think they will be very useful for the Lord in this world. Thanks to Adam and Eve this world is totally messed up and has been since the beginning. I don't like how things are this world and find myself fighting fear when I think about sending my kids out into it very soon. Most days I think it is a total mess.
ReplyDeleteWith that said though, I think we have to be careful with our attitudes in this area. I am studying the ministry of Jesus right now and I think His example is so powerful in terms of how he approached people. Always humble, loving, and firm. I think that sets the example of how we should approach the world. I think there is danger in thinking the world is horrible and teaching our kids that b/c it sets us up for pride and arrogance. I think our job is to teach them discernment and not judgement. We can't teach our kids to stay away from the world because it is bad. They will someday be vessels for God.
I think in these parenting moments we can be examples to the world. We ultimately want our kids to be examples. I want my kids, because of their attitudes and actions, to someday be able to give an answer when someone asks why they are the way they are!
As I have beening wrestling through my own fears and frustrations in these areas I have been reminded over and over, God is in control. He wants us to trust Him and grow closer to Him. I am also reminded that we are to fear God and not fear God's plan for our life and for our children's life.
Isaiah 43:1 "Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have summoned you by name, you are mine."
Even as we parent in the upside down world, God has a plan! I praise Him because not too long ago I was one of those messed up people in the world. I'm so grateful for this second chance and to have the Holy Spirit guiding me so I am able to have the mind of Christ. My kids' life would be so different if I didn't get that second chance...my goal wouldn't be to guide them to the Lord! Marcy
Marcy, Yes, this world is messed up. And yes, the disadvantage is only temporal--we have an eternal focus in our parenting, so it's okay. Our lives are not about the here and now. But I do still see extreme differences in character--both in adults now and in children being raised by some parenting choices that are being touted. It's not something to get prideful about, I agree, nor to fear or avoid. It's just a fact of life to be aware of.
ReplyDeleteDiscernment and judgment really are the same thing--we've just given the word 'judgment' a negative connotation implying that it involves condemnation. But discernment still involves choosing between what is right and what is wrong; what is good and what is bad. It's still a judgment.
And Amen and praise the Lord that I'm redeemed!! I hope I didn't sound fearful or prideful--if so, I apologize. I was feeling 'wry' when I wrote it, recognizing that it makes it more difficult to "win the game" when you play by the rules while others see nothing wrong with cheating.
And you know us Stockers--we'd rather win than lose! LOL
Shonya,
ReplyDeleteI hear the heart of what you are saying. This world is most definitely not fair and of course Christians are at a disadvantage according to the world's view because we play by a completely different set of rules.
A Christians rules/standards/commandment keeping affects eternity, not just the temporal. We might not ever get the recognition due to us on earth.....and that's okay. We work for the King of Kings and it is His approval we should seek.
Now, please remind me of this when my children work so hard for something, sacrificing many comforts to achieve what they are working towards only to see their friends parents just "hand them" the same thing with zero effort. Ugghhh......Help me to remember that I am character building for the King.