Monday, May 17, 2010

Right Where You Are

I reviewed the book "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris some time ago, which you may read here. I really liked the book, and was especially impressed by their message that teenagers don't have to be rebellious, wild, irresponsible, and feared; rather they can learn that life is not about them and use this time in their lives to prepare for adulthood and serve others. I appreciated the first book for the foundation and the vision.

I recently read the sequel, "Start Here", which I actually liked even more. It is more practical and seems to hone some of the ambitions and fires that might have been lit by the first book. They continue their message that "As young people, we're in the season of preparation. Our main focus during this season is to prepare for mature, effective adulthood: work, marriage, family, service to others, leadership, and ministry" (13). But they also give some excellent advice and guidance regarding the spirit in which one should do hard things in addition to just nuts and bolts of getting it done.

There were three main points that stood out to me as things that are great for teens (and even us parents!) to realize:
  • It's about God, do it for Him, not self or pride or acclaim.
It can be tempting to start thinking about self and the glory we can gain by 'accomplishing' some big thing. But ultimately "we're doing hard things to glorify God and become more of who He created us to be" (6). The hard things God calls us to do are about Him, not us" (18). I especially liked the thought that it is God working through us more than it is us working for God. They said it better with "The history of David is not about what David did for God, but about what God did for David. Our humanistic dream is that we may do great things for God" (53).
  • Do what is in front of you right now, don't go out creating something 'big'.
"You don't have to engineer something--you can trust Him, be faithful, and be ready for His timing" (6). Sometimes it's hard to be content with doing the "small" thing that is right in your path. One can be tempted to manufacture an opportunity that seems bigger and more productive, but the Harris brothers caution teens to "be faithful in what He's already given us to do, not embark on a big new adventure" (7). The seemingly little things will help one to grow and develop talents to prepare for the next thing that will naturally occur. "Start with a new attitude, a new heart, and a mind open to how the everyday hard things available to you right now will lead you to the next step" (9).
  • Be an example, not an exception, and don't seek disapproval.
I was especially struck by this encouragement as it can be tempting to merely assume the role of being an exception to the rebellious teen stereotype--indeed, one might even be tempted to take pride in that difference. The Harris brothers remind us that "we are called by God to be examples, not exceptions. The message of the Rebelution is that all young people have the ability to accomplish far greater things than our culture would have them think. We live a different way to show our culture a better way" (62). It seems the distinction here would be in inspiring and drawing others to also live for God, not standing alone or (dare I say?) above.

This concept segued nicely into the martyr complex chistians can have about 'being different'. Just as I don't think my mission should be to be popular, neither should my mission be to alienate those who don't share my beliefs. "Jesus and the apostles did not seek the disapproval of others. . .Romans 12:18. . .We live to draw others to God. . .Am I being persecuted because I am doing something for God or because I am being a difficult person to live with? Am I holding on to my cause so tightly that I can't see how it is hurting others, or are my actions showing others who God is? Am I more interested in what God thinks of me than in whether I am popular or unpopular?" (99) I think we all have known people who say others don't like them because of lifestyle choices they are making for Christ, and you really want to say 'No, it's not WHAT you're doing, it's HOW you're doing it.'

There were many, many other excellent points in the book. They shared ideas on involving others in your vision and projects, fundraising tips, and questions to ask yourself to realize your dreams and abilities. They talked about a season of preparation and living intentionally ("Putting God at the center of our lives does not mean we live perfectly. It means we live intentionally. And it will cost us something" (66)). I'll try not to extend this review any more, but encourage you to read these books yourself as there are principles that can be applied regardless of age.

I'll leave you with one last idea, which could produce a post of its own. Sometimes we have to examine what we are doing and discern "the difference between busyness (having a lot to do) and fruitfulness (accomplishing something of eternal significance)" (55). "Even good activities might not be the best activities for a particular season of life" (57).

May I be discerning and choose the best over the good so I can be fruitful in the kingdom.

5 comments:

  1. This is going to be another book that I read sometime when I have time to read all of these good books that you have reviewed....could you keep a list for me??? Seriously, looks like a great book, probably just as good for adults and not just teens, especially for us not trained in this mindset! Loved the God working through us part and the be and example and not an exception part....SO good. Thanks for reviewing all these good reads! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where on earth do you find the time to do this? Love the post, want to read the book but amazed at how you find the time to write out such a thoughtful review? I finally posted on teh Orphan Summit but didn't nearly do it justice. Keep it coming girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post.....translated.....I love you and your writing......and I think I love this book.

    This review topic hits so close to home for me. I think maybe because of the two teenage boys that I have about to spread their wings and fly.

    This is most definitely how I wish for them to proceed. The goal is to be ready and willing to be available at all times serving God. This is daily, minute by minute, not an elaborate idea we pour our energy into for the sake of doing something good.

    One way I've found helpful to see where God is working is to implement Beth Moore's "GodStop" idea, I think that was from her Believing God books.

    The idea is that at the end of the day we take the time to write down where we saw God work in our lives for that day. If our hearts are open to Him and our eyes are open to see it's amazing how much He is actively working through us for His glory. We just need to respond and see.

    Often the things I jotted down didn't seem 'BIG' in the sense of what the world might think they need to be to qualify, but in their own small ways they played a BIG part in God's eyes.

    Sometimes my entry would be as simple as a choice in my attitude in a situation that day (sanctification), or a conversation with a neighbor that brought a smile of encouragement to their faces. Sometimes it was about laying down my own agenda and putting a 'thinking about' you card in the mail for someone I felt pressed to connect with after prayer.

    I really believe that these are also 'the hard things' that we should be doing. It's so much easier to simply think of ourselves.

    And if we can be trusted by Him in these things maybe the "Harder Things" that might bring self glory if done on our own esteem, will come to us and we can be trusted to handle them for HIS glory alone.

    Thanks for the encouragement this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy--I thought they were great points too!
    Sharon--I read pretty fast, and I am more than glad to sacrifice sleep and a clean house in order to read every once in awhile! chuckle As far as the blogging, I do a little here and a little there during naptimes. I have about three or four drafts going at a time, so it's not a 'sit down once' and get it all done most of the time.
    Misti--getting back at me for blogging in your comment section?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shonya,
    Yes, I am still reading your blog!!! I know it's poor etiquette not to post a comment but sometimes for time sake I don't.
    This blog was wonderful. I can't wait to read the book.
    Right now I am reading "Crazy Love" and "Do Hard Things".
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!