Thursday, August 19, 2010

Don't Want to Forget

Destry came with me when I went to Tyrell's doctor appointment yesterday, and we had a really nice visit. We were talking about an excellent article I had read about strengths and weaknesses of home educated children going into college. We discussed some areas that we want to improve in, such as taking timed tests and meeting firm deadlines, and how we want to always do a little better than we have in the past.

At that point, Destry said, "Really, I am a perfunctory student."

Admittedly, this can be a fitting description, when he quickly hurries through his work just to get it done so he can go outside instead of completing his work to the best of his ability with the goal of learning. But I couldn't help it--I laughed out loud.

'Perfunctory' was a vocabulary word last week. Were he truly a perfunctory student, he would not have used this word in our casual conversation, and I told him so.

3 comments:

  1. So I double checked myself on perfunctory. Was thinking it meant performing out of obligation.

    Nice try, Destry. Your detail to vocab busted you on that one.

    Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAG!!!!!! (Busting A Gut! my new fav! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have to be honest.... i did not know what that word was and nor do i now:) i haven't looked it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!