Sunday, October 17, 2010

What Would You Give?

I recently read Lois Lowry's The Messenger and, as is the case with many of her books, I can't stop thinking about it.

This book is the third in a trilogy that begins with The Giver and presents a bleak future as a result of a utopian experiment gone awry. The series is interesting for a broad variety of reasons, but ultimately addresses the themes of freedom and the depths of human character.

In The Messenger, we travel to "The Village" which is made up of people who have escaped other communities where the young, old, lame or anyone who was different weren't valued. As the book unfolds, however, we sense a malevolent undercurrent sweeping through The Village. Members of the community are attending the secretive TradeMart and coming home with luxuries such as a Gaming Machine and fancy sewing machines and fabric.

What they are giving in exchange for the luxuries isn't immediately obvious, but as Matty, the main character, continues his discreet observations, he notices some disturbing trends. One woman who adds a Gaming Machine to her home soon has chronically ill children, while another woman who was well-known for her sweet and submissive spirit becomes impatient and ill-tempered with her husband. The generous woman who made Matty clothes when he first arrived at the village has become selfish and stingy since receiving her fancy sewing machine. Matty's mentor, the gifted and patient teacher who loved literature and poetry and had a soft spot for all needy creatures, becomes more irritable, kicks sick puppies, and neglects education as his disfiguring birthmark and stooped shoulders fade.

Most disturbing of all, the villagers start building a wall to prevent other refugees of harsh communities from accessing their safe harbor and possibly depleting The Village resources.

These thoughts lead me to an evaluation of myself and my society. What do I trade for, and at what price? Will I trade my peace of mind and kindness for the busyness of activities and involvement? Will I trade my time with my family for my self-fulfillment and sense of importance or success? Will I trade my integrity for power and prestige? Will I trade the character of my children for their popularity? Will I trade my generosity for security? Will I trade my relationship with my children for my house, car, clothes, and vacations? Will I trade my self-respect for someone's approval?

Will I trade my eternal home for the pleasures of sin for a season?

I can't help but be reminded that everything costs something. It seems ludicrous to literally trade our inner self, who we are, for an attractive physical appearance. It's absurd to think of bartering with someone for our recreation, our hobbies, our fun, by offering the health of our children or our kind spirit. Ludicrous. . .absurd. . .or is it? In our selfish pursuits, might we indeed exchange these very traits without even realizing it?

I am struck by the irony that these people who had escaped communities where they were not valued fell victim to the very same error of not properly valuing that which was most needful. Our choices loudly proclaim what we value.

I am reminded today to evaluate (determine the value) and "count the cost" as I make choices.
Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

5 comments:

  1. I DIDN'T KNOW THE GIVER WAS THE FIRST IN A TRILOGY. Did I express my excitement properly? Looking into this now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Giver but not the others, but it sounds like I need to add to my "Must Read" list. You've given us lots to think about as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda and Karen, how fun that you have these books to look forward to!! :) I hope I didn't share too much and ruin the fun for you. I didn't think the second book, Gathering Blue, was as good as the first and third books, but it still had a challenging theme regarding the value of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never heard of this book. I'm wondering if it would be a good one for our teen girl's book club! What do you think? The Giver has been on my list as well. Do you need to read them in order?

    Thanks for sharing this - and your insights. A lot to ponder!

    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, Oh yes, do a Lois Lowry month, for sure!!! I don't think you necessarily have to read them in order. The Messenger just talks about characters who were in the first two, it's not necessarily something that couldn't be understood if read "out of order". They each have a stand-alone message in my opinion. The only advantage to reading "The Giver" first would be that it sets up the whole idea of a dystopian world and the consequences of giving up our freedoms, so that might be nice to talk about before The Messenger. They're pretty short reads--you could probably do both of them at once!! My 13yos just read The Messenger and he really enjoyed it and we had some good discussions from it--your teen book club would definitely find meat to chew on!! (How fun, wish I could come! giggle)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!