
A book about. . .
- God's marvelous provision.
- unity and bonding in a common goal.
- loving and caring for the fatherless.
- overcoming fear.
- acting in obedience.
- generosity from total strangers.
- God's grace.
But the story of what God can do through those who are willing to obey Him, who are moved by compassion, love, and faith, was inspiring and healing.
This was just one of those books that will always stay with me. It was a quick and easy read (I read it in one day during naptime and then finished it in the evening) but it was immensely powerful. I can't help but think of the amazing growth God produces in people when we are willing to step out in faith and allow Him to work in us and through us. I think of how often it is fear that keeps us from taking risks--whether it is the risk of loving a child not ours from birth, the risk of leaving a successful career for an uncertain financial future, the risk of caring for people when we might lose them, the risk of giving liberally at the cost of our children's college funds or our 401K, the risk of loving those who aren't easy to love and may never return that love. . .
Yet taking those risks while trusting in and serving God reaps growth that far outweighs the costs and risks. He pours blessings on us as if He was just hovering above us, His arms filled with the richness He longed for us to be willing to receive, and the moment we fully surrender He delightedly showers us with the gifts and growth we had been rejecting with our selfish and willful lives.
And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter. . .
My hope is your story will be about changing. . .
about learning to love a child. . .
about learning to love others more than we love ourselves. . .
We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?. . .
And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back.
It is you who will have changed.
--Donald Miller, Through Painted Deserts
This does indeed sound like a tear-inducing sort of book. And a completely amazing one at that! I'll keep an eye out for it! Thanks for sharing about it.
ReplyDeleteOHHHHH! I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI had exactly the same reaction to this book! Tears and smiles both. (But lots of tears...) I read it as I did research for a novel I was writing, and it sure tugged on my heart.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for visiting my blog and your kind words about my book. Hope you receive it soon and enjoy it!! Come back again.
Loved that book and seeing how great our Father's love is for "the least of these" who need it the most. Every child is a wanted child, wanted by their Heavenly Father and someone He's prepared to raise them.
ReplyDeleteKat--I can't wait, either, to see what you think of it! ;)
ReplyDeleteLaura--Thanks for stopping by. Glad to hear you had a similar reaction to God's workings. I expect your book to arrive this week as it was shipped Friday. (shiver of excitement! smile)
Sharon--oh, so very true!!!!
Mmmmmm. So good.....Marcy
ReplyDelete