Wednesday, April 27, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I've shared several ponderings prompted by my recent reading of One Thousand Gifts:a Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. I got a great deal out of this book which is, in a nutshell, about living a life of thanksgiving and joy regardless of your circumstances. I hope you'll keep reading this review. . .
"To learn how to be grateful and happy, whether hands full or hands empty. That is a secret worth spending a life on learning" (47).
It's tempting to skim over the topic of this book because we've all heard it, we all even know it deep down, and it might not sound interesting or like something we really need to read. But this book is not corny, and it's not just the "same old thing we all know but aren't that great at doing."

I checked a copy of the book out from the library because I had heard so many people talking about it, but I wasn't sure I would like it well enough to spend the money on it. At the end of my reading, here is what the book looked like.
So, my first purchase for my new Kindle was One Thousand Gifts and I highlighted all the passages in the Kindle that I had flagged as I removed these beautiful post it tabs to return the (hard copy? what is the correct terminology?!) to the library.

I think the best thing about this book is that it's so real. The author shares her experiences and growth process as she doesn't understand what is going on, as she questions God as to why bad things happen, and as she begins to see the Creator's presence in each small moment of her days. She begins the book telling of the accidental death of her young sister. I was crying on page two of the book. Admittedly, I cry pretty easily in reading books or watching movies, but page two was a first for me!

In addition to her transparency which makes this book worth reading, I was blessed by meditating on our perspective in life, our expectations from this life, and fully experiencing the moments of our life. But perhaps the message which had the most impact on me was that of the joy we receive as a result of thanksgiving.
"Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis. But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning "joy." Joy. Ah. . .yes, I might be needing me some of that. That might be what the quest for more is all about--that which Augustine claimed "Without exception. . .all try their hardest to reach the same goal, that is, joy" (32).

"As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible. Joy is always possible. Whenever, meaning--now; wherever, meaning--here" (33).
I thought that word study connecting thanksgiving, grace, and joy was very insightful. I also think joy is something we all really want, but it's difficult to attain. To understand that joy comes from appreciating and expressing gratitude, whenever and wherever, is certainly a concept that is worth spending our lives to realize.
"Joy is the realest reality, the fullest life, and joy is always given, never grasped. God gives gifts and I give thanks and I unwrap the gift given: joy" (57).
Overall, I really appreciated One Thousand Gifts. It had a wonderful message and gave me lots to think about. Sometimes I got tired of her writing style, which is very poetic and flowery, some describe it as lyrical, and there were a few points where I lifted the figurative eyebrow at some of her theology, but I'm seriously considering purchasing a few copies to share with some people I know who are going through trials right now. If only we could all have a similar perspective toward life, I think we would experience more growth through the difficulties of this life instead of reacting with depression, fear, worry, and pity-parties. Whether you are currently experiencing a trial or all is rosy, I recommend reading One Thousand Gifts to provoke you toward a perspective of appreciation and joy in the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Shonya, you make me even more eager to jump into the copy by my bed! (I've vowed to wait till summer so I can savor it, but I don't know if I'll be able to.) I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your concluding remarks summarize what I think I'll end up feeling about this book. I also don't think I'd want to OWN the book myself so I'll have to wait and read it when I pick it up at the library, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's certainly worth reading--I'll look forward to your posts after you read it, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!