I borrowed this book from a friend and read about half of it in a week, then I ordered my own copy because I realized it would be an excellent resource book to implement little by little rather than just reading through once. After finishing the book, I determined that it will serve as my 15-year-old daughter's home economics textbook this year. Yes, it's that good. Just think how far ahead she will be if she already has her attitude in place, a home management book organized, and habits and tips up her sleeve. (Okay, the truth is she is already way ahead of where I was, say, five years ago, but this will propel her even farther along).The first part of the book shapes our attitude in our management of our homes. It is filled with Scripture and encouragement, and gives tips for setting goals, gaining self-discipline, some child-training, and putting self in its proper place. She encourages hospitality and taking care of ourselves.
I especially liked her suggestion to take stock of how I am spending my time right now. She suggests carrying around a notebook for a day or two and quickly jotting down what you do and how long it takes to evaluate your stewardship of your time.
I also appreciated her transparency as she shared "There are days when things just don't go according to plan. . .When this happens, just adjust. Change your plan, or take a break. Gather everyone together, offer some encouraging words, pray, take a nap, get a drink or a snack, or read a story. Take the time needed to get everyone back on track, and then get back on track" (109). Phew! I was glad to know it's not just our family who has those days, and I am more inclined to read and attempt her suggestions when she is real about life.
I was encouraged, convicted, and inspired by her summary of motherhood:
Motherhood is a life of sacrifice; it is a life poured out for our children. So what are we to do to get some space from it all? When we are honest with ourselves, we know that it is not "Me Time" we need or a "Girls' Night Out". Children are not a burden to escape or endure; they are a blessing that drives us to Christ because we are incapable of parenting well without Him. God is who we need. While there are helpful strategies we can employ in order to have a more peaceful day with our children, the number one thing we must do is to deny Self and cling to the cross" (87).The second section is chock full of practical ideas and tips. Most of this section focuses on creating a Home Management Book. I have played around with this concept for some time as I have a three ring binder that contains our monthly budget, menu planning, shopping lists, etc. But she takes it to a whole new level as she encourages lists of chores in each room of the house, daily schedules, and a rotation for each week such as Monday is laundry day, Tuesday is kitchen day, etc. She breaks each day down itemizing and sharing tips for laundry day, office day, or whatever.
There are chapters which are unique to individual families or seasons of life, such as homeschooling, times of pregnancy, and several little children. But there are many more chapters which apply to households across the board.
I really like her conversational tone throughout the book and while she is obviously adept at running her home, she still makes it seem attainable even for the organizationally-challenged. I also really appreciate that most of the chapters are short so a busy woman can grasp a complete point in one sitting.
My goal is to have my Home Management Book completed and this household running itself by the end of the summer. (gales of laughter--I have many lofty goals like this for the summer, and I usually accomplish approximately ten percent of those goals. But any little bit I accomplish is better than just sitting around reading cozy mysteries during naptime, right?? a-hem) Someone hold me accountable. . .well, on completing the Home Management Book at least.
I wanna see it when you're done! How's that for accountability!?
ReplyDeleteoh thank you for posting this! i'm mentally at the place where i want to do some reorganizing of my time and energy and i think this is perfect!!
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to order this now...thanks for sharing not only the review but honestly how your house runs. I don't know why I assume that everyone else just has it together all the time and I don't! :)
ReplyDeleteOooh, so many things I want to comment on and so little time! But I simply MUST say a few of them. First of all, LOVE your new shelves! And Brianna’s quilt looks great, and congrats to Destry on his bigger violin, too (love the flashback photo, too)!
ReplyDeleteAnd on LFL… I enjoyed reading your review. I’m trying to finish getting through all of it now, but it will still probably take me a while. However it’s funny that you mention having the Home Management Book set up by the end of summer, as I was just thinking recently that I also would LOVE to have days of the week set up rather similarly to her days by the end of the summer/before Baby comes. Part of me thinks it would be great to hopefully help in managing the house in those early days, and the skeptical part of me says sure, get it all in order just to have it turned completely upside down when the new one comes along, ha! When I first read that part I hesitated at the days of the week concept for various reasons, but some of them were related to the fact that while I thought I could try it eventually and could see some potential merits in it, based on past experience I didn’t think it would work very well for me until some other things were more in order, like the older children being more independent with schooling and having better chore routines in place, etc. So I guess I’ve been kind of working on things related to her book for most of this year, even though I didn’t touch the book for most of that time. Now that I feel like some of those things are working better (although there’s still plenty to work on), I’ve been thinking that I might be ready to try the days. But really, couldn’t she have had a Reading Day in there? ;) Trying to figure out a way to work that out, so let me know if you’ve got any ideas. :)
I hadn’t thought of using the book as a home ec text! That seems like it could really be good potentially and I’ll be interested to know how it works out.
Also, did you know the “4 Moms, 35 Kids” ladies are going to blog through this book in August and are inviting people to join them? And rumor has it that Kim may also join in. I think that’s exciting, even though I don’t know whether I’ll have time or energy to blog along. It will be neat to see what others have to say anyway and maybe get even more ideas.
Maybe we can help hold each other accountable on working on the set-up, although part of me thinks my energy levels are sure to sabotage me at this point as I try implementing the ideas, and of course if Baby comes that will complicate matters. But I’m sorta trying anyway! At least the planning part! ;)
Jenn--it's more than halfway done! :) I'll have to bring it to share with you and Brea on Thurs. Thanks for the motivation!
ReplyDeleteLaura--I think that's a pretty common misconception we all share! I found the book worth the money--and it's a nice big hardback besides! :)
Amber--love the condensed comments over past posts. :) I think whatever we implement is good, so I'm going to focus on the positive and at least do SOME things! It's actually coming together a little easier than I expected--does that encourage you?? And yes, I am looking forward to the Four Moms blogging through this book--surely that will help motivate us further. :) You are in my thoughts and prayers, Amber.