Saturday, November 26, 2011

Closing Doors

Well, you know what happens when you pray--God answers! My most recent prayer has been asking for clarity regarding whether or not we will stay in this area. I was just tired of the uncertainty. Do I need to start packing, or what? Wouldn't you know it, the Lord closed three doors within a week!

My hubby has no more applications or resumes out locally. They hired a nuclear engineer to fill one of the jobs he applied for, and the last local possibility decided not to fill the position he had interviewed for and instead divided those responsibilities among three other employees.
And now we've sold the farm--just like that. It looks like in another week we will have the money in hand and the new owners are going to let us rent this house as long as we like. The horses and mules are gone, the sheep will hopefully all be sold Monday, and the hogs are off to market. The Lord is just wrapping things up left and right.
I mean, what do you say to that, right? So now I'm praying we'll soon know where! Meanwhile, I think I'll start packing. It's kind of a weird feeling to be in this in-between place.

Have you ever seen that movie, Sliding Doors? It stars Gwyneth Paltrow and shows two parallel/alternate lives based on one decision she made. As I recall, she was headed to work when she realized she had left something at home. The movie continues by alternating between what would have happened had she gone back home to get it and what if she just went on to work. Interestingly, though the journey there was different, the end came out the same both ways.

15 comments:

  1. Seriously just stunned, but my heart is overflowing that you are following God! So awesome!!! Know, very seriously, if you ever need a place to stay in our area....we are a little crazy, but.....hugs sweet friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had something very similar happen with our house sale in Phoenix as we were preparing to move back to the Midwest. Continuing to pray for you as the time gets closer for God to reveal the next step in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Big happenings around your place, girl! Wish the Lord would lead you to the perfect situation near us, because we'd have so much fun together :) I will be praying that His perfect will be done for your family! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. It MUST feel weird to be in such an in-between place! I have trouble with those limbo-type spots, myself, but I'm glad you have at least some closure in some ways (no pun intended.) Praying for guidance for you, and holding back selfish thoughts about hating it when friends move away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have typed three sentences and erased them all. I don't have the words. Praying (and crying) with/for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying not to be selfish. I'm sad.. No Shonya at Bunco, no running into your family at the library and ball games....:( I'm thankful for the internet, so I'll still be able to keep in touch. I'm positive this means good things for you and your family. I'll be praying for you guys to find out where soon. I'm terrible at the limbo times. That is where I struggle the most. Let me know if I can do anything to easy your transition. My packing skills are legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exciting and scary and must feel a bit overwhelming, but when you know that God has a plan for you and that He is driving things, it is much less scary. It will be really neat to see what He has in store for you. And what a blessing that your place has sold already and you don't have that stress on top of everything else.

    P.S. Canada is nice...especially our area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is good in the midst of uncertainty, growth, and discomfort. It is clear that you guys are seeking and following Him. So much has just come together without your human effort. I have to admit that even though I'm praising God, I'm also a little sad. That farm has been a blessing in so many ways. I will miss it. I will miss making memories for our family there...hayrides, playing with the animals, flying kites, exploring, and listening to the kids play and laugh outside together, etc. I'm selfishly wondering where you guys will move to, hoping that it isn't further away. I'm having to tuck away feelings about people who have driven you out of that town.
    I will NEVER forget getting that dirty little farm house cleaned up, painted, and ready for you to move your family into. I guess the good news is that you will have to take down the decorations that have not moved in years and help you get another house ready somewhere else. Just more opportunities to laugh until we cry and pee. I love you so much. As a friend and sister(inlaw) I want to 'fix' this uncertainty for you, but I can't. I trust that God has you right where He wants you. He is handing you seeds to plant in His soil right now....someday we will see the harvest!!!!! Love you! Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say - what a seemingly lightly written post for such a heavy (to me) message. I'm in awe of how well you are handling all of this - your calm, your trust, and your certainty in One thing - Christ. I pray wherever He plants you that you will feel His love and His arms surround you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kat--Oh, what a hoot that would be! We may have to make another trip to TX *just* to stay with you! lol I'll bring the caffeine. . .
    Lorri--thank you so much for your prayers, I appreciate them more than I can say! It's a crazy feeling to watch things just fall into place, isn't it?!
    Brenna--wouldn't that just be grand?! :)
    Karen--Thank you for your prayers and I am sad to leave our new friendship as well. Fortunately, however, we are both rather addicted to this blogging habit, so I'm guessing we'll stay in touch with one another's lives and growth! :) (It's gonna be awfully hard to fill your violin teacher/mentor shoes, however. . .)
    Laura--thank you for commiserating. On the other hand, there is still a relatively strong possibility of living closer to you. . .so I'll focus on that positive! :) Thanks for the prayers and keep 'em comin'!
    Corin--I am decidedly touched at your kindness, really! It will be a little quieter at Bunco (wink)and I, too, am thankful for the internet as we'll be able to keep tabs on one another's lives. While I have some sadness over some relationships here locally, I am mostly feeling a sense of anticipation for what the Lord has in store for our family--what could it be???!! And legendary packing skills???!!! Oh girlfriend!! Don't offer unless you mean it! :)
    Sharla--you're summing up my feelings pretty well, you should have written this post! ;) But Canada??? hmmmm. . . lol
    Marc--it IS crazy how things are coming together, isn't it?! Yes, I am pretty upset at the prospect of having to DECORATE again!! Ugh!! I was *DONE*!! Thanks for reminding me I'll have to do that again--you just ruined my whole night! lol (OK, I'm sort of laughing, but you know the reality is I really, really do despise that loathsome task) Love you too, and God will work our situation out to His glory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn--I'm sorry, my friend. I guess the Lord has just prepared my heart for this time, but I will very much miss you and our burgeoning friendship. (HUG) Let's stay in touch, hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! I don't check your blog for a few days, thinking FB and automatic chicken pluckers are enough, and you surprise me with this?! :) I'm glad God is making things very apparent for y'all in many areas. We've been in very similiar situations before and it's hard (for me, anyway). I know wherever He leads you, you will do well because it will be for His glory. Praying that your family's prayers are answered favorably to where you settle next. BTW, Texas has wonderful weather (you'd get use to the heat, eventually) and lots of farm land to satisfy the homesteading need. ;) Love you, dear friend. "The eyes of Texas are upon you!" (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course I mean it. LEGENDARY. I secretly love packing. Not moving, but packing. It's like a real life game of Tetras. I love proving Steve wrong when he stares in disbelief and says, "There is no way that's all going to fit." You just let me know when you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOAH. WOW! I'm gone for a week and LOOK at what happens in your life!!

    Your farm. =( I've never been, but I absolutely love it!

    Oh, but I will also love seeing what God does because He's clearly on the move in your lives. I'll wait with anticipation! (But not even half as much as you, I am sure!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just now catching up and I'm stunned! I'm sad to think we'll be without you.... and yet having been in your shoes before, I'm excited to imagine what God has in store for you next. It's the transitions that are hardest. I'll keep praying. Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!