| The cover on my copy of the book |
In the long moment of silence, they could hear the rustle of the animals clawing at the bars of their cages. . .The chief moved his glance slowly, appraisingly, from his face to the two gunmen in the corners. The gunmen steadied their aim by an almost imperceptible movement. A nervous rustle went through the room. An animal squeaked shrilly in one of the cages (1152).It's just fun to me when an author is so skillful at relating the tension in the room without just telling the reader "the tension in the room was palpable" or some other such predictable phrase. There are levels to her writing that simply suck me in.
But Atlas Shrugged is much, much more than just an enjoyable and well-crafted novel. It is the manifestation of ideas and beliefs and the rather sobering outcome of ideas put into practice. (It was especially fascinating to me to read this so soon after having read Life At the Bottom. Dalrymple illustrated the problems inherent in many liberal secular humanist ideals with a series of essays sharing his observations of those ideals in practice in the "underclass" of England. Rand illustrates many of the same problematic ideals in a fictional, somewhat dystopian novel.) Just a few of the principles she discusses are:
- free trade/capitalism contrasted with socialism/welfare society
- big government and regulation
- ingenuity of the mind vs. a non-thinking society
- workers vs. takers
- value life (of self) vs. death (of others)
There's much, much more that I could say about Atlas Shrugged, but Ayn Rand says it ever so much better. If you genuinely appreciate good writing and enjoy pondering ideas that you almost can't wrap your brain around--don't miss this one!
Wow! You finished that in just over a month. I am impressed. I think I should be done before another month is up, but I am still making progress! I can't wait to talk about it with you.
ReplyDeleteAh, jeez. I suppose, since I'm already headed to the library this morning, I could glance around in the "R" section of Fiction. And if it just so happens to be there, I guess I could pick it up. Your review makes it impossible for me to further ignore this book.
ReplyDeleteWhen this first popped up in my reader, I thought you were someone else. I was thinking, "Man! EVERYONE is reading Atlas Shrugged these days!!" But then I was glad to realize that my eyes had played tricks on me and it was really you and so I'm not sitting here all by my lonesome, the only one who has not read this one.
ReplyDeleteBut I will sometime. Because you told me to. (But not on the heels of Bleak House!)
I just picked up Les Miserables to give it another go, and if I have a hard time getting through it (as full of hope as it is), I doubt I could persevere through Atlas Shrugged. But I do salute you for doing it and wrapping it up so nicely here! :-)
ReplyDelete