Friday, February 8, 2013

King Alfred's English

My true homeschooling inclination is to pursue delight-directed learning.  I applied this philosophy pretty consistently when Briana and Destry were younger, chasing rabbit trails and their curiosity in one unit study after another.  High school, however, seems so much more serious, and I keep having to remind myself that even though it's good for them to study biology and chemistry, geometry and algebra 2, we still must protect time for them to investigate their interests.


Briana has been fascinated with linguistics ever since our unit delving into The Lord of the Rings when she learned that English has descended from the Germanic branch of languages.  Her fascination continued through two years of studying the Spanish language and the occassional foray into Greek and Latin roots.  When I read reviews of the book, King Alfred's English:  A History of the Language We Speak and Why We Should Be Glad We Do, written by Laurie White, I bought it for her to read.  After receiving it and glancing through it, however, I decided it looked too fun to limit to Briana alone, so she, Destry and I chased this rabbit trail when we resumed school after the first of the new year.
It really was the perfect little unit to reawaken our curiosity and joy in learning.  The author has provided a free unit study guide on her website complete with suggested movies to watch, articles to read, primary sources, and videos demonstrating ideas in each chapter.  The book itself was engaging and easy to read.  We found it a particularly fun review of history we've learned over the last several years as she took us on a quick trip through Ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and Reformation, and finally to America while explaining the influences each of these time periods had on our native language.

In closing, I'll allow Briana to express her appreciation for this book in her own words (and I especially got a kick out of her little jab at the English spelling rules which have frustrated her for many years):
I enjoyed this book because it tells the story of the English language, from its beginning to the present. The author spends time describing and explaining each morph in English resulting from inward changes and outward influences such as the invasions of the Northmen and the French, as well as the changes brought about by the printing press. King Alfred's English introduces readers to one of the most complex, facinating and influential languages yet to be spoken. You will come away from this book with a new appriciation for the beauty and creativity of the English launguage and will discover a newfound affection for the language you speak. You will also understand why our language is so difficult to spell, and you will be able to trace hundreds of English words back to their origins. King Alfred's English opened my eyes to the richness of English, and I came to see that English, a language that compiles words and concepts from many different peoples, is the perfect representation of America.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I get a ping sent to my email when my book is mentioned on the web (a google thing) and that's how I saw your review. I don't have time to respond to all reviews of course, but yours was particularly good and when I saw Briana's comments, I just had to say something. Briana, your review is so well put! I loved it! You summed up the most important aspects perfectly. I may quote it on my King Alfred's English Facebook page, if you don't mind. I liked especially your closing statement--about how the English language, "is the perfect representation of America." Thanks, mom and daughter! I'm really happy you both enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made Briana's day with your kind words, Laurie! :) Yes, of course you may quote her summary.

      Delete
  3. Shonya, this book sounds like something I would love. I would also be interested in hearing more about how you allow time for delight-directed learning in the high school years. Weseem to be all caught up in "the basics" with no time for learning the things we want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, thanks for an idea for a blog post! :) We easily get caught up in "the basics and necessities as others have dictated mindset" and have to keep renewing our minds with great books by people like Barbara Shelton, Marilyn Howshell and Debra Bell. A friend recommended Barb Shelton's High School Formula several years and I've referred to it time and time again.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great book. I'll have to add it to my list. I don't know if any of my kids are interested, but I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a fabulous book! (And I love the fact that Briana got a reply from the author on her summary. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shared Briana's comments on the FB page for King Alfred's English--
    https://www.facebook.com/kingalfredsenglish

    Thanks again, Briana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't decide if this book sounds fascinating or dry as dust. Briana's review certainly has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So what I'm hearing is that my review is dry but Briana's is intriguing! Thinking I'm gonna "hand over the pen. . .errrr, keyboard". :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!