Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Recommendations for a Retreat

If you knew someone who was headed to his cabin for a couple weeks with the intention of reading, what books might you loan him?  He's in a different season of life than I am, that's for sure--I can't imagine such a prospect!  He is a believer, 60 years old, doctor by profession, three adult children.  I sent him with a box of these books, each tagged with a post it note sharing what I liked about it:

1.       Gifted Hands by Ben Carson

2.       1776 by David McCullough

3.       Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

4.       Humility by CJ Mahaney

5.       Crazy Love by Francis Chan

6.       The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield

7.       They Smell Like Sheep by Lynn Anderson

8.       Radical Restoration by F. LaGard Smith

9.       The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer

10.     Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

11.     Life at the Bottom by Dalrymple

12.     The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

13.     A Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini

14.     And the Mountains Echoed by Hosseini

15.     The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

16.     The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

17.     Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham

Can't wait to hear his thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I want a book box from you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, hee, how fun would that be?!!!! I love being a "bad influence" on you when it comes to reading.

      Delete
  2. THAT is a SUPER COOL idea!!!

    SUPER COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how we tend to do for others what we wish people would do for us??? :)

      Delete
  3. One to add: Bad Ground by W. Dale Cramer :-) I read three or four of his books a few years ago and really enjoyed them. I think they are good books for men, that is why I thought of them after reading your post. Nothing too heavy, but a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks for enjoyable book recommendations! I'm always on the lookout for a good one.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!