Friday, November 22, 2013

For Real Friday

I had too much fun first reading Laura's blog today, and then popping over to her friend's "For Real" post to read of a mom who couldn't remember the last time she had bathed her child.  It made me laugh and like this total stranger, so I thought I would turn today's (this week's??) funk into a For Real post as well.

FOR REAL:
  • I stayed up past 1 am two nights this week to re-read The Hunger Games trilogy.  Why?  I don't know.  I realize it's pointless, they were fine to read once but twice?  really?  It's just such an interesting alternate universe and it sucks me in. . .
  • My daughter stayed up past 11 pm two nights this week also reading The Hunger Games which irritated me mightily because she was tired and slow-moving the next morning.  (Because I, of course, would never do that!)
  • I'm feeling kind of tired and crabby the last couple days (what? you think that's related to the above?  pschaw!)
  • I still don't feel like I have any friends in this church congregation.  Sometimes I think it's my problem.  Most of the time I think it's everyone else's.  (hey, we're being real here, right?!)
  • Sometimes on Sundays this song won't leave my head.  I'm just not a fan of big smiles, hearty handshakes, backslapping, and shallow conversations about nothing week after week.  Yet I'm tired of inviting people over, trying to get below the surface, and it just makes me feel lonely.
  • I want to have a really fun New Year's Eve party this year.  It's my favorite excuse for a fun party with friends and silliness and laughs.  And I'm trying to justify inviting people I have the most fun with instead of thinking about my kids and who they would have the most fun with.  But we'll probably end up going where my teens will have a good time again this year.
  • I picked a fight with my husband this week because he paid the homeowner's and auto insurance bill and the amount of it made me annoyed.  As if he's the one who chose the amount.  (You know we have two teen drivers, right?)
  • When my teenaged son is in a bad mood or we are having a little rift in our relationship, I can always make him laugh by making a farting sound with my mouth.   Then he tells me I'm the weirdest mom ever.  But at least he's smiling at me when he says it.
  • I think the worst thing about being a stay-at-home mom is the supper smells that torture me all day long.  Right now I have a beef brisket slowly cooking in the oven with garlic, thyme, oregano, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes.  It just makes me want to eat all day long.  Chips, chocolate, popcorn, whatever I can find. . .until I'm not hungry when supper time finally arrives.  Then I'm hungry after the kids go to bed.  Don't ask how those weight-loss goals of last Spring are coming along.
  • If I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't have let my son watch Napoleon Dynamite.  It is really, really, REALLY annoying to hear quoted day after day after day.
That's kind of therapeutic!  Let's be real--what are you REALLY thinking today?

7 comments:

  1. You made me LOL!
    I think you totally hit the nail on the head about smelling supper cooking all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow being real and vomitting words is really therapeutic! Hope the next week with a little extra sleep goes better! And plus, you get to see me on Thursday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for seeing you Thursday! :) Love you too, Marc!

      Delete
  3. I love REAL people!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, your church comment hit home. I felt that way about our church in Connecticut: I loved the pastor, the music, pretty much everything but the people, which sounds TERRIBLE, but we're being real here, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were being real a month ago so I don't have to be today, do I? Because I probably shouldn't post what I'm thinking about right at this moment right here and now.And there has to be some kind of deadline on these posts anyway.

    I'd be your friend at church though. That's REALly true.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!