Petra: City of Stone by T.L. HigleyEarly Christians suffering persecution under the Roman empire--this theme always draws me in as I think it's good to consider what I would do if persecuted for my faith.
In this story, Cassia learns what love is and Julian learns what forgiveness and leadership are all about. The book is not as good as Rivers's "Mark of the Lion" trilogy, but it was still very enjoyable.
I especially enjoyed the pictures of the believers meeting together. I think too often in 2015 believers come together more out of a sense of duty, obligation, and (dare I say) legalism than out of a sense of love for one another. Congregations get so big people don't even know one another, let alone love one another in the beautiful way pictured in this story. As Cassia first encounters a group gathered together she observed that they were "not a family but certainly behaved as one" (91). "The believers did what they did best--listened to each other's hearts, shared the struggle to remain true to the teachings, prayed over each other in love" (110). I must admit I long for such a fellowship locally.
As persecution loomed before them, their elder addressed the believers: "We must not forget who we are. Even if there is harsh persecution to come. Love each other well, and care for the hearts of your brothers and sisters. Fight for each other, fight against evil. Perhaps we have been complacent here in our safety. But we must not forget we are in the midst of a perverse culture, and we must stand firm yet remain loving. Remember that it is by our love that they shall know we are His disciples. Love one another and love them" --he extended his hand outward to the city--"pray for them and love them until they ask you why" (149).
I also liked some of the advice regarding leadership that the aged elder offered to young Julian. As Julian was anxious and continually reviewing and relying on his plans, Malik counseled "Peace. Lead from your heart, from your spirit and from His. Not from your head" (187). And later "This is part of leadership. To learn that we do not control, we serve" (189). There's a lot of wisdom in those words, and I think we err today in putting men in positions of church leadership just because of their secular success. These men lead from their heads (humanism) rather than from the Spirit, and they tend to focus on control and micromanagement rather than serving their congregation.
This was a great book for a plane ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!