I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala YousafzaiThis book was worth reading, but it wasn't my favorite. I know I should be more patient, but Malala hits me as immature and spoiled, so I really just didn't like the voice of the book.
However, it was very interesting to read about 9/11 and "the war on terror" from a Pakistani perspective, to see what war on the ground was like for the civilians, and especially to read about the Islam/Pakistan history and culture, particularly as it relates to women.
She and her family are still very devout Muslims, which was also interesting but sad to me.
I thought this quote was very telling: "The Taliban is not an organized force like we imagine. It's a mentality, and this mentality is everywhere in Pakistan" (232).
I'm afraid that mentality permeates more than just Pakistan.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!