Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong KalishThis book was delightful. I enjoyed it very much. It made me think of my grandparents and the stories they used to tell about their childhood and early marriage.
I think Mildred's voice makes the book as she reflects on her childhood in Iowa in the 1930s. She shares how her upbringing "built character, fed the intellect, and stirred the imagination" while sharing stories of living off the land and managing relationships with relatives. I enjoyed the way she thoroughly explained the process of many practices such as harvesting nuts, collecting a swarm of bees, using natural healing remedies, and taming wild raccoons as well as the recipes she included.
I found her religious experience rather sad, as she developed a cynicism that colored her view of God. I think her story serves as a good example of how our country was "culturally christian" in generations past, but individuals weren't converted, and we can see the effects of that today even in the voice of someone born in the 1920s.
It took me quite a while to read this book as Destry started reading it before I had finished and we had to fight over it. He thoroughly enjoyed it as well. This is recent history--real-life stuff about living independently, off the land, with good character, and strong work ethic--and I think it's good for us to read as our society moves farther and farther from this knowledge, experience, and level of integrity.
Thanks to Kristy for the recommendation!
Oh, I'm so glad you liked it! I found it fascinating, but her disillusionment with God also sad.
ReplyDeleteMe too! I was glad I liked this one--I tend to like every other one of the books you recommend to me! :)
DeleteDo you have this book? I have wanted to read it for AGES and I am not above begging to borrow it! I promise to return it faster than Financial Peace Revisited... lol
ReplyDeleteYes I do, and you are welcome to borrow it WITHOUT begging. :) You should have mentioned it today--I'm just now seeing this. Remind me. . .
Delete